Plans for major British troop pull-out from Iraq

Via Al-Jaz

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=8792

The Financial Times reports that Britain's Ministry of Defence has drafted plans for a significant withdrawal of British troops from Iraq over the next 18 months and a big deployment to Afghanistan.

In what would represent the biggest operational shake-up involving Britain's armed forces since the Iraq war, the first stage of a run-down in military operations is likely to take place later this year with a handover of security to Iraqis in at least two southern provinces.

But officials in the Department of Defence emphasised that all plans for Iraqi deployments were contingent on the ability of domestic security forces to assume peacekeeping duties from UK troops. Iraqi forces have so far proven unable to take over such roles in areas where the insurgency is most intense, and progress has disappointed coalition officials.

This has been going on for awhile, right? About withdrawal from Iraq and deployment to 'stan.

Does anyone know how many they're roughly planning to deploy to 'Stan? I've been hearing anything from 3 to 5 thousand.

Also, slightly off topic and profuse apologies for asking, but who're the current British GOC's in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Also, slightly off topic and profuse apologies for asking, but who're the current British GOC's in Iraq and Afghanistan?

MoD website should give you the answer to that.

PartTimePongo said:

MoD website should give you the answer to that.

Aye! Been trying to do my own homework. I've looked there, but I didn't find the answers and it probably has more to do with where I've looked. :?

QRK2 said:
GOC MND(SE) (or GC MND(SE) as he prefers to be called) was Maj Gen Jonathan Riley Late RWF. But must be due to change about now to that Royal Marine whose name escapes me.
I thought it was Maj. Gen. Jonathon Riley, but is he the top British General there? Gen. Casey's deputy? I remember it was a Lt. General who took over the command from the previous deputy some time in April.

3 Cdo Bde are of to Aghanistan next year. Its common knowledge within the Bde so I dont think OpSec is a problem.

S
K

They are sending 5000 tropps from my knowledge to A-stan.

Cheers 2CB

chimera

LE
Nothing new here. This has been in all of the broadsheets for months.

Although I do recall that the withdrawl plan in April 2003 had us down to a BG+ by TELIC 5......