Plans for major British troop pull-out from Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jul 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Via Al-Jaz

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=8792

2. This has been going on for awhile, right? About withdrawal from Iraq and deployment to 'stan.

Does anyone know how many they're roughly planning to deploy to 'Stan? I've been hearing anything from 3 to 5 thousand.

Also, slightly off topic and profuse apologies for asking, but who're the current British GOC's in Iraq and Afghanistan?

3. Also, slightly off topic and profuse apologies for asking, but who're the current British GOC's in Iraq and Afghanistan?

MoD website should give you the answer to that.

4. Aye! Been trying to do my own homework. I've looked there, but I didn't find the answers and it probably has more to do with where I've looked. :?

5. I thought it was Maj. Gen. Jonathon Riley, but is he the top British General there? Gen. Casey's deputy? I remember it was a Lt. General who took over the command from the previous deputy some time in April.

6. 3 Cdo Bde are of to Aghanistan next year. Its common knowledge within the Bde so I dont think OpSec is a problem.

S
    K

7. They are sending 5000 tropps from my knowledge to A-stan.

Cheers 2CB

8. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Nothing new here. This has been in all of the broadsheets for months.

Although I do recall that the withdrawl plan in April 2003 had us down to a BG+ by TELIC 5......