Plans announced for new military ward at Edgbaston

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The MOD and University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust have just announced plans to build a new military hospital ward for injured soldiers in Birmingham.

2. More info now at http://www.baff.org.uk/news.htm

3. Great news - about time.

4. Will this actually mean more bed space?

5. As I understand it, yes, if compared on a like to like basis with the military managed ward at Selly Oak.

The MOD news release (included on my earlier link) says:

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Possibly, though any spare capacity will be filled with NHS patients, so it won't be exclusively military.

I understand that better integration of the military aspect of the new 'super-hospital' has been part of the plan for some time.

Excellent, and exactly what there used to be in military hospitals. In fact, these facilities already exist in the MDHUs (including RCDM) in some form or another - it's just that in the rush to close the military hospitals things like welfare provision were always bottom of the list.

This is good news - though I'll probably believe it only when I see it finished - but it's worth remembering that whilst Selly Oak is the focus for those wounded on ops, military patients are treated at many other locations in UK, Germany and Cyprus - though clearly these are not such fashionable places for senior officers' wives to be seen to visit. In my view, a soldier with cancer, or who has been seriously injured in an accident, and his relatives, should have the same access to facilities as those injured on ops.