Planning on joining the RADC and would like some help!!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by SJ_Kinger!!, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys'

I'm in the process of joining and was hoping to join the RADC as a Dental Nurse with a view to training as a Hygienist at some point.
    The main reason I want to join the RADC is to gain a trade that is transferable to civvy street, as well as the challenge of learning a new skill. My overall desire to join the Army however is for the life experiences, being deployed, sport, adventure training, expeditions etc.

Can anyone in the RADC give me a true reflection of how many opportunities you realistically get to deploy and be involved in sport and the other things I've listed above?

Also what is the promotion like?

I just want to have a realistic view of what it'll be like, rather than get in and find that I won't get the opportunity to do the things I'd hoped to do along side my trade.

2. From what I can see, the RADC are very stretched so if you are a clinical member of staff, your opportunities to get out and about are minimal. Deployments the same.
  3. Have a word with Fang Farrier - although I haven't seen him for a few days.
  4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A week in Italy, brushing up on my pizza and pasta, makes a change from pies!

Have sent PM to the OP
  5. RADC... the Army's true Teeth Arm.

Get it... boom boom. I fank you...
  6. What? another one to milk the taxpayer, get a hygienest certificate then bugger off after a couple of years or after getting pregnant.
    Don't bother, they my not be around for long.
  7. Try not to give the original poster any false impressions about the RADC, he may extract his application, rinse please!
  8. False impressions? I speak from years of experience of dealing with these people.
  9. Fang_Farrier

Which people? I've known many very good RADC hygienists.

And some crap ones but you get that in every trade.
  10. True, some are human, but some do have a common-sense bypass when they join the course.
  11. You leave the course as a Substantive LCPL acting Cpl. It's a thanks for the two years of mind blowing study and tears!

Promotion is pretty slow because it's a small cadre, especially near the top because you have to wait for someone to snuff it or leave before you can get promoted even if you are above the quality line. Mind you you shouldn't do the job for the money but for the love of treating patients and improving their health.

Operational tours - zero chance.

Sport - it's the usual balance of work demands, your guilt about cancelling patients and DDS Targets compared with your desire to keep fit and do sport. You will not be getting every weds afternoon off to play sport for example.

The course is great, the pay is lousy compared to civilian pay but it's a civilian qualification. That's why most soldiers apply for it. Retention is very poor indeed and so you'll be travelling between many clinics to cover maternity and manning shortfalls. Personally I'd can the lot and put it out to contract.
  12. Not true - I even qualified for the ACSM.
  13. I am sure that's true Appolonia but did that include NI, exercises, Balkans etc? If it was recent ops, were you "employed" as a Dental Nurse, Watchkeeper or Ward manager/Patient Tracker despite being a qualified Hygienist?
    My point is that doctrinally there is no deployed role for Dental Hygienists, their function is force generation (in barracks) and whilst the RADC does try to make opportunities for exercises and deployments there is no war role for the cadre at Role 1, 2 or 2A. The RADC has employed Hygienists as regional practice managers on Herrrick/Telic and has deployed them on Sharp Point.
  14. Fang_Farrier

Did not the hygienist war role use to be in blood transfusion? Has that changed?
  15. It has sadly. Registration for phlebotomists has killed that. Also CASO for Dental Officers and Techs and Hygienists working as Nurses! A less flexible but better regulated Corps!