Planned retreat from remote outposts in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

It should be said that the Nuristanis are separate people with own language. They are not Pashtuns (and the Taliban is namely Pashtun's organisation).

So during the Soviet invasion they were warriors but now... terrorists?
  2. Presumably, if the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack they must be active in the area? Or do you think these were Nuristani fighters?

Islamic movement of Uzbekistan has been active in the North, could this be some kind of ALQ coordinated attack?

Found this, doesn't look good;

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. NATO spokesman Brig. Gen. Eric Tremblay said the assailants included a mix of "tribal militias," Taliban and fighters loyal to Sirajudin Haqqani, an al Qaeda-linked militant based in sanctuaries in the tribal areas of Pakistan near the Afghan border.

3. Yep :D

In much the same way of "offering fraternal assistance" meant sending loads of Panzer Divisions into a country which was having a second thoughts about staying in the Warsaw Pact :wink:

4. The media are great like that, aren't they? Whether its is the USA, UK, Russian Federation or anywhere else, they can always be relied upon to spout balls.
  5. I think that most Afghan Tribes are getting pretty P**** off with being called Tallys and being bombed by the septics because of crap inteligence which has more to do with a centurys old family feuding than insergency

It seems to me that I know what is their preferable weapon.

Relations between the Nuristanis and the Taliban are not easy

Remarkable the Nuristanis adopted Islam relatively recently

Why not to allow the Nuristanis to live as they wish and remove all foreign troops from their lands?
  7. Could be the Nuristanis don't like Central Govt and are working with Talib to get rid of coalition troops on their soil.

Loose Alignments

Indeed, Giustozzi says it appears the Taliban movement reached the limits of where its fighters could infiltrate back in 2006 -- namely, their old strongholds in the south and southeast of Afghanistan.

Since then, he says, they appear to have entered into loose alignments with factions that have followers or fighters closer to Kabul -- as well as in eastern and northern parts of Afghanistan.

"I believe that they probably tried very hard over the last few years to expand their own organization eastward and northward and they found that there are big difficulties because they didn't have much of a base in these areas. They never had," Giustozzi says. "And after trying and trying, they decided that, probably, they didn't have the potential to do much military action, and therefore, resorted to alliances with other groups in order to transform their jihad movement into a national movement."

Indeed, Afghan security officials blame the Sarajuddin Haqanni network for the suicide attack at Kabul's five-star Serena Hotel in January, as well as much of the recent violence in southeastern Afghanistan. The Haqanni network is a former mujahedin party that had fought Soviet troops in Afghanistan during the 1980s and now has links with the Taliban and the Al-Qaeda network.

Taliban Propaganda

Nick Grono, deputy president of the International Crisis Group, tells RFE/RL that insurgent propaganda shows that other factions also are diversifying the insurgency.

"In a recent report we did, we were looking at Taliban propaganda. And one of the interesting findings there was that, in fact, there wasn't the kind of coordination between the different groups -- the antigovernment forces -- whether it was Haqanni or the Taliban or those that are more closely associated with Al-Qaeda," Grono says. "There wasn't a strong degree of cooperation that we could identify, at least from their writings. In fact, often they were blaming each other or criticizing people who were claiming to speak for the Taliban -- saying they do not represent the Taliban. But what you are seeing is that they are all more successfully pursuing their objectives."

There has been a growing body of people who are opposed to the central government and are opposed to the presence of foreign forces here.
    MacKenzie says the unifying element for insurgent factions in Afghanistan is their anger at the central government in Kabul -- whether the grievances are the result of corrupt government administrators, civilian casualties from U.S.-led coalition air strikes, anger about house raids by foreign troops, or income losses caused by the government's opium-eradication programs.

But MacKenzie says the patchwork of factions and disenfranchised Afghan groups now comprising the insurgency is different than the unified movement the Taliban had been during the 1990s when it rose to power.

"There has been a growing body of people who are opposed to the central government and are opposed to the presence of foreign forces here," MacKenzie says. "Some are ready to make alliances among themselves, at least in the short term. That does not mean that they are all Taliban. And I think that, should they prevail and the foreign forces were to leave, there would be a lot of political fallout. I do not think that these diverse groups share a common vision of what Afghanistan could or should be minus the central government or the international presence."
  8. Withdraw to the high population density areas, use the surge of troops to create some order for long enough to declare 'victory'. Hand Afghanistan over to the Mayor of Kabul and pull out.

You know this is coming.
  9. The only issue I have with this policy is the fact that 70% of Afghans live in villages. It is not urbanised like Iraq. So I don't really see it working.

But I would agree, there is a fork in the road coming up very soon..
  10. When the Russians invaded afghanistan they used the Iranians( Persian) army to help them get as far as Herat but a British Army officer, Eldred Pottinger,who just happend to be there spying at the time,helped kick the Russians out. The British Government then decided to " Save Afghanistan". Sound familier, but this was in 1838 and ended with William Brydon the only survivor of the 4500 troops left in Kabul in 1842

I do hope history does not repeat it's self
  11. Well, back when your countrymen were systematically wiping a large proportion of the Afghan people off the face of the earth, the Arabs fighting in Afghanistan hadn't - unless I missed something - flown any commercial airliners into downtown Manhattan...
  12. I'm happy to hear your learned opinion Gallowglass.

So, you agree that the Nuristanis who resisted the Soviet invation were warriors. But the Nuristanis who fight against Western troops are... who they are exactly from your point of view: warriors or terrorists?

As for the Arabs in Afghanistan them anyway there were (in 80's) and there are now quite few of them.
  14. I don't recall any Afghans flying any commercial arilines into downtown Manhattan at any time.

Edit:- Tried to delete this post due to not reading the post I was replying to properly, but it wouldn't allow me to. I now have and realise what it said, as in the Arabs fighting in Afghanistan (not meaning from Afghanitan).