PLANEX?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by lizardo79, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is probably already a thread on here about this but here goes.

Does anyone have any advice for tackling planning exercises? I've done a few including the one on the AOSB website but I was wondering if there was any particular method/s people use in dealing with these?

Also any other hints or tips regarding the weekends assessment would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Is it a pre training/selection weekend for the board?
    The only advice i can give is read the problem through make several rough plans and get those down on paper, then give reasons for using "the best plan" make sure you are taking all the information on board such as timings to travel certain distances in certain vehicles, as this will definitely be asked, once your plan has been handed in they will then put you up and fire some questions at you about your plan asking things which you may or may not remember, the idea is to put you under pressure to see how you cope with rapid fire questions, this i think is the most daunting part of the process, as brain farts will occur, i have seen people in tears its quite hard,
    Just remember to keep your head try not to mumble, be confident and you should be ok!
    With regards to the rest of it, stay positive dont moan as from the moment you arrive you will be under assessment.

Group disccussions=
    have a valid imput dont speak for the sake of speaking as you may make your self out to be a bit of a tit.
    Stay on subject.
    try not to butt in, keep your hands still and do not be aggressive.

Command tasks=
    when in command state the problem suggest your sulotion then ask if anyone else has any other ideas if yours is best then go with it.
    Designate a time keeper!
    stay in control throughout dont be scared of telling people what to do.
    Always stay in the middle so you can control the task.

With all other written assessments make them methodical make them clear and finish on time.

hope this helps

troop!

3. 1. Remember the basic stuff like what day of the week it is, which country you are in, what the major exports and imports are, what you're doing there, the names of the people involved - they will try and catch you out with this stuff as everybody concentrates on getting the plan done and doesn't think about the basics.
    2. Get your mental arithmetic right, take your time to make sure you get the first maths question they ask you correct and hopefully they won't ask you any more - that's what happened to me anyway - if the see maths is a weak point they'll keep attacking it.
    3. Be confident in your plan - whichever one you decide on they'll pick holes in it and give you the 'what if' scenario. They are looking to see if you can handle the pressure and stick to your plan, without caving to what others say.
    BUT
    4. Have a B plan and say - well if that doesn't work and I've tried this this and this then I will try this instead.
    Good luck!

4. Thank you for the advice.
    The PLANEX seems to be my real concern. The mental apptitude assesments and command/leaderless tasks shouldn't be a problem. I did have a bit of a problem when it came to group disscusions in a pot officer training weekend i did but I think it was down to the topics that were given. I didn't really have views on them although when it came to the topic I had suggested I was able to throw my point across ok. Question is if there is a topic I really don't feel I have much to contribute do I just listen and wait for the next one or try to put something in even if it is rubbish?

Was also wondering how similar the CFCB is To the TAB weekend?

5. The thing is with those group disscussions is that you need to get involved in every conversation, even though you may not know anything about it, but try to stay on topic and state something of relevance, you are being assessed on how you integrate with others and if you can hold a conversation with your peers.

troop

6. I'm sure you can come up with an opinion on any subject that comes up - it does not have to be YOUR opinion, just that you are able to articulate a point of view. But be prepared to justify it when questioned.

7. But don't talk over people either, and avoid dominating the conversation, try asking people's opinions to bring them into the conversation, oh and sit back.

It's about working as a team as well.

8. OR you can ask questions and challenge the views of those that do hold strong opinions. They will thank you and do the same in return - gives a chance to come across as articulate when defending your point.