Plane lands at airbase by mistake

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by FrogPrince, Mar 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A passenger jet which was destined for City of Derry Airport has landed at an Army base six miles away by mistake. The Liverpool to Derry service, operated by Eirjet on behalf of Ryanair, landed at Ballykelly airstrip at 1440 BST.

Ryanair said in a statement it was due to an "error by the Eirjet pilot who mistakenly believed he was on a visual approach to City of Derry airport".

The pilot apologised and said, 'We may have arrived at the wrong airport'.
  2. Where is this 'Derry' place I hear so much about? :?:
  3. No idea Darth, I can only assume that it's some quiet and inconsequential backwater.
  4. Isn't it a place that went out of existence a couple of hundred years ago after a fire??

5. Hmmm....good point, Sparkling Sapper type.

Wherever this place is, you can fly there from Londonderry, so it must be a fair distance away...
  6. Do you have to pay to get to other parts of Derry as there is a part that's free?
  7. Derry - That's a small place near Ballykelly, is'nt it?
  8. Yes just down the road, you can't miss it. Or can you?
  9. Cheap Airfares and UK Cheap Flights From Derry - Londonderry to Derry - Londonderry , United Kingdom. Note: These deals are a cheap flights to Derry - Londonderry , United Kingdom guide only - please contact the agent concerned for further details, accuracy and availability.

You can see why the pilot got confused, Road to Nowhere on the Mp3 player and off we DON'T go.
  10. Just found the pilot's possible favourite song.

Is this the way to Amarillo?

Delete Amarillo, insert Derry?
  11. mistersoft, after 512 posts in just 6 weeks yours must be "ain't no stopping us now".
  12. Quiet and inconsequential.Yes.

Well at least up until Sunday 30 January 1972 when a certain regiment of airborne mentalists and council estate psychopaths got a bit trigger happy with the natives...Bless 'em

(Sung to the tune of 'Knick-knack Paddywhack')
  13. Thanks CR
    Doesn't time fly when you're having fun and I am. Hope everybody else is as well.
    I thought young, gifted and black. Fcuk, maybe not only wrong on three counts.