Plan B: Syria’s forgotten — but dangerous — nuclear program

Unsworth said:
... And real economic warfare is being waged right now.
Couldn't agree more.

If a nuclear station in Syria would be built by the Russians then (and I hope you agree with me) it would be highly unwise (for Israelis) to bomb the object.
I disagree. Britain's greatest mistake was not to Copenhagen the German Kriegsmarine in 1911 as it did the French fleet belatedly at Mers-el-Kebir in 1940

It was dear old Leonid B who in 1969-70 asked President Nixon if the USA would either a) join in or b) remain neutral if the USSR launched a pre-emptive nuclear strike on China. Poor old Ambassador Dobrinyin spent so long back and forth trying to assure the White House the Russians weren't in a suicide dive that Kissinger informed Peking and the great opening to China began.

Unfortunately Sergey, I believe Russia is heading for a major catastrophe. I do not know if you have read Volkogonov but in many ways Russia today is rather like Iraq - run by KGB Nomenklatura and wholly dependent upon oil and gas for unrealistically high living standards, but technologically backward.

The position Russia reached in the 1950s as a superpower in terms of nuclear warheads is fading as it becomes surrounded by mini-nuclear powers right across its southern borders. The Battle of Tsushima should be a lesson in how emerging powers as Japan then was - with Royal Naval officers on its ships - could shake the foundations of the Russian Empire.

In historical terms it was the Okhrana in Serbia with The Black Hand that dragged Russia into catastrophe; and the fact that today it is Turkey, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan that are spreading into Central Asia with its fast-growing population - and China - that should keep Russian strategists awake at night wondering when the next civil war might break out.

Israel is safer than Russia because Saudi Arabia and Egypt like having Israel as an ally

Voyager said:
Unfortunately Sergey, I believe Russia is heading for a major catastrophe.
Calm down. It would not be the first and not the last Russian catastrophe. The whole Russian history is a chain of catastophes.

Voyager said:
I do not know if you have read Volkogonov...
He is a well-known historian and general.

Voyager said:
...but in many ways Russia today is rather like Iraq
Maybe but note: with WMD.

Voyager said:
- run by KGB Nomenklatura and wholly dependent upon oil and gas for unrealistically high living standards, but technologically backward.
Btw, technologically backward country launch satelites (including American ones). It is true that now oil and gas are the most profitable areas for investments in Russia but real Russian treasury is its people, its intellectual potential that is huge.

Voyager said:
The position Russia reached in the 1950s as a superpower in terms of nuclear warheads is fading as it becomes surrounded by mini-nuclear powers right across its southern borders. The Battle of Tsushima should be a lesson in how emerging powers as Japan then was - with Royal Naval officers on its ships - could shake the foundations of the Russian Empire.
Be a realist. Russia is able to annihilate the whole World and will have this ability in foreseeable future.

Voyager said:
In historical terms it was the Okhrana in Serbia with The Black Hand that dragged Russia into catastrophe; and the fact that today it is Turkey, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan that are spreading into Central Asia with its fast-growing population - and China - that should keep Russian strategists awake at night wondering when the next civil war might break out.
Turkey, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan as a source of Russian catastrophe? You joke.

Voyager said:
Israel is safer than Russia because Saudi Arabia and Egypt like having Israel as an ally
Israel is an ally of Egypt and Saudi Arabia? You joke again. With such allies Israel doesn't need enemies.