Plague outbreak - Jan 18

Yeah...in the first post?

Centre for Disease Control gadgy HERE

'
Is a vaccine available to prevent plague?
A plague vaccine is not available. New plague vaccines are in development but are not expected to be commercially available in the immediate future.'

I'm not a virologist...if you are, the CDC is plainly in need of your services?
Obviously you are not a virologist. As you would be aware that it's a gram negative, rod-shaped bacillus and not a virus.
Here's the info I aluded to above. It's on the CDC site.
Plague Vaccine

Offshore_Harry

Old-Salt
Madagascar obviously the place to send mother in laws, ex wife's and chavs for a holiday

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Obviously you are not a virologist. As you would be aware that it's a gram negative, rod-shaped bacillus and not a virus.
Here's the info I aluded to above. It's on the CDC site.
Plague Vaccine

Thanks for that- the FAQ relates to Pneumonic . and as the more detailed page says:

' The degree of protection afforded against primary pneumonic infection is not known. '

but all in all, not something you'd want to mess about with in either variety.

If you are a virologist, which as my post cheerfully proclaimed I aint, then hats off.

If not then as that great military strategist Krafft-Ebbing once put it :

' Zum Nordlisch spazieren gehen bis ihre Mutze schwimmt'

Pip pip and all that rot, what ?

--

I was watching something on PBS America just the other day about the Black Plague in Europe and the programme claimed new evidence to show that it wasn't bubonic plague carried by rats, but some sort of haemorrhagic fever similar to the likes of Ebola, but with a 3 week incubation period, that was transferred by human to human contact.

The Mystery of the Black Death | PBS America | UK

Having done a little bit of an investigoogle it looks like this is an hypothesis put forward by two people which isn't accepted science, but it does look like they have had proper papers published.

What caused the Black Death?

And the Newscientist has a good article on it.

Did bubonic plague really cause the Black Death?

We'd be fubared if this sort of thing got going again in Europe.

Madagascar obviously the place to send mother in laws, ex wife's and chavs for a holiday

Or Colorado; probably easier to convince them to get on the flight, and then go out and see some of the cuddly critters.

'The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is urging everyone to be careful around animals after plague was found in mammals and fleas from six counties and the state recorded its first death from the disease since 2015.

'The state didn’t release the full list of counties, but said La Plata was one of them. The 10-year-old child who died of plague earlier this month was a La Plata County resident.

'Plague is caused by bacteria and usually is transmitted by bites from infected fleas. Prairie dogs, squirrels, chipmunks and other rodents many carry the fleas and become infected themselves, so everyone should avoid getting close to those animals, the health department said in a news release.

'Colorado reported 22 human cases of plague from 2015 to 2020, according to the state health department. Almost half of the cases were in La Plata County, though at least one case has been reported in the last six years in Adams, Archuleta, Boulder, Denver, Grand, Larimer, Mesa and Pueblo counties.'

Latest Threads