Plague outbreak - Jan 18

On the subject of Australian Flu; my son and DiL have caught Australian Flu whilst visiting in the U.K. Now they have returned to Australia does it just become the flu?

Both bacteria and viruses mutate at rates human's don't, due to their faster growth rates. As a result the next big thing could be just round the corner, or like the the explosion of Yellowstone National Park volcano it might not happen for 10,000 years. When it does happen however we're finished.

Take heart, vegetarians will die first.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's never gone away; we got vaccinated for it before the first Gulf unpleasantness. Cases crop up in New Mexico occasionally. Think we are OK in Europe since most of those without genetic resistance to the Black Death were removed from the gene pool!

I know. cf Martin Cruz Smith ' Nightwing'

Interesting...the CDC fing says there is no vaccine for Pneumonic plague so you were probably jabbed for good old vanilla Black Death

( atishoo, atishoo - we all fall DOWN ! )

Did Tulip Gozunder get her MBE yet?

One of the locals in the Pub said - "It's all down to all these bloody immigrants,innit ?"

A bloke in the pub is blaming immigrants for the plague in Madagascar? Strange.

Funny the OP started this thread,as I've been wondering about all the weird illnesses that have suddenly (?) sprung up.

Hardly suddenly sprung up:
Bubonic plague - Wikipedia
Also
Timeline of plague - Wikipedia

I suspect its granted its been about five years since the last little bout.

Many people think of Plague as an ancient disease, mainly due to the black death. But the third pandemic only ended in the 1959 (according to the above links). I think the best way of describing it is "it hasn't gone away you know".

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a slight tickle in my throat indicating an imminent illness. I haven't met any Australians but I have been to London. Should I report for quarantine?

I know. cf Martin Cruz Smith ' Nightwing'

Interesting...the CDC fing says there is no vaccine for Pneumonic plague so you were probably jabbed for good old vanilla Black Death

( atishoo, atishoo - we all fall DOWN ! )

Did Tulip Gozunder get her MBE yet?
Have you got a link for the CDC statement of that, as I knew the vaccine around since 1897 is less effective against the pneumonic variant, but is not AFAIK totally ineffective. It is the same bacillus though, Y. Pestis.

Do we all know that pneumonic plague is treated by simple penicillin based antibiotics? It is not an untreatable death sentance. Unless you live in Smethwick of course :lol:

D

Deleted 20555

I read somewhere the jewel that is India has an on going problem with the black death, oh and let us also not forget anthrax and typhus.

Clearly the white man's burden is turning out to be a bit more burdensome than initially thought...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Have you got a link for the CDC statement of that, as I knew the vaccine around since 1897 is less effective against the pneumonic variant, but is not AFAIK totally ineffective. It is the same bacillus though, Y. Pestis.

Yeah...in the first post?

Centre for Disease Control gadgy HERE

'
Is a vaccine available to prevent plague?
A plague vaccine is not available. New plague vaccines are in development but are not expected to be commercially available in the immediate future.'

I'm not a virologist...if you are, the CDC is plainly in need of your services?

Latest Threads