Plague of piggies munching on my croquet hoops!

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by cernunnos, Dec 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After several good mast years (in which wild boar multiply by 300 % per annum instead of the normal rate of 200%) the pigs are finally being forced out of the woods to forage. There are no acorns locally this year and no beechmast.

The week before last I was faced with a field where due to the very late harvest, the maize stubble was immediately plowed in to sow winter wheat. As the first snow started to fall I counted 30 pig in the one field all digging for maize rest.

It was 29 pig doubling off at the high port and one having a nice little lie down before I went home.

I've returned twice since then making the most of the illumination provided by the snow and I killed a pig each time.
    In one small shoot, 330 hectares, and not a traditional pig shoot, it's dry upland mixed woodland and arable, not really wet enough for schwarzwild, in an average year 2.4 pigs are expected tho be shot there, we've just shot No. 27 My freezers are all full and we've rented space from a local wholesale butcher.

The other shoot I'm involved with in Nord Hessen, 490 hectares of wet woodland, is traditional heavy pig country, fortunately they can do little damage there. At the last count 19 pig had been shot and the big annual druckjagd is yet to come. Last year we shot just 9 in total.

Is anyone else having similar experiences?

2. I'm not having any similar experiences. Anyway, I only opened this thread to find out what "piggies" and "croquet hoops" were euphemisms for.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Yes - my neighbour down the street a few weeks ago....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

64 shot in the valley as of Oct 1st - add 10-20 more to that by now (no close season at the moment, but not possible to shoot after dark when the buggers are about unfortunately).

4. At least the pigs just broke the turf up, were finding holes over a meter deep where rodent nests have been dug out. The damage is horrendous but at the end of the day down to intensive farming and the constant pressure to produce.

Near Atteln I saw 30 pig in one field, near the neighbouring village, Etteln (and the Germans are very imaginative buggers when picking names) the farmer and his boy counted 53.

For me It's looking to be a very long winter of cold nights and warm barrels, now I can look forward to that to some extent, but I have to sell the idea to my wife.

5. Bugger, bugger, bugger, I almost wish I were able to be there! I love wild boar meat. We have a few in these parts (well across the border in Udan Thani - not many in Saigon) but we rarely see them as the jungle is quite heavy in places. I often come across sign of them in the jungle though, uprooted rotten logs and diggings here and there. Save one for me pretty please, I have to visit Germany next year as am invited to the Ebinger magnetometer factory.

6. You need some of that agent orange stuff, you'd be able to see them then! I bet the Americans have a depot full of the stuff somewhere nearby (on a British island stacked full with banned cluster bombs perhaps).

7. I'll not complain about the damage they cause in my field ever again.