Places to stop in a VW van around Ireland

Discussion in 'Travel' started by CountryGal, Dec 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Just brought a VW van for doing some more touring in with the dog and my little one.

We're off to tour the south of ireland for 10 days at the end of feb - any suggestions as to places to go, good campsites with electric hookups or things to look out for.

Any suggestions welcomed :D
  2. Port Salon great beach even better chippy, nice caravan campsite.
  3. Essential training manual to prepare for any ireland trip has got to be

Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks

Book Description
    I hereby bet Tony Hawks the sum of One Hundred Pounds that he cannot hitchhike round the circumference of Ireland, with a fridge, within one calendar month'. A foolhardy attempt to win a drunken bet led to Tony Hawks having one of the most unforgettable experiences of his life. Joined by his trusty travelling-companion-cum-domestic-appliance, he found himself in the midst of a remarkable, inspirational and, at times, downright silly adventure. In their month of madness, Tony and his fridge surfed together; entered a batchelor festival; and one of them had sex without the other knowing. The fridge got christened, and they even met the poorest king on Earth. An absurd story of an extraordinary adventure, Round Ireland with a Fridge follows the fearless pair as they battle towards Dublin and a breathtaking finale that is moving, uplifting, and a fitting conclusion to the whole ridiculous affair.

4. CountryGal

Yep have that on hte bookcase and read it through more than once ;o)
  5. Garages with a clutch bleeding kit. :)
  6. CountryGal

Did I ever say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your help in getting us home safe and sound from Scotland xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
  7. I think you were straight into a crisis when you got back but no worries. You were welcome, it was easy enough from my end - once I got you to stop arguing and do what I said! :D

8. I'd suggest yo ustop at 'STOP' signs, red lights and when neccesary at @Give Way' signs.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I suggest you find out where Bugsy is, then keep as far away as possible. Personally I would not risk it - I only feel secure with 2 seas and a mountain range between us.....

He is probably an expert in VW vans though, probably toured GDR in one with Ulrike Meinhof or similiar..... :roll:
  10. Wild Camping link - they can be good but you do need to be self-contained with your van and this may not be best if you have a small person with you

UK Campsites Link UKCS have a good knowledge base and their members are usually very sound with their advice

Essential equipment? Take your water proofs & have agreat time
  11. Also McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland by Pete McCarthy is a great read & very funny, another great training manual for Ireland exploring!

If you pass through WestPort say "Hi!" for me, there is a hotel named after my ancestor (I have the same name) who also built Westport House, the town Hall, station and designed the georgian town layout, it is a beautiful friendly town with lots going on, including a book and arts festival each year and just a stones throw from stunning coastal roads, castles and views, also try the Clew Bay Oysters if you get the chance!!

Bon Voyage!!

12. CountryGal

Westport is on the map currently, and have just ordered the book so thank you ;o)

*edited for misplaced quotes grrrr
  13. Depends where you're coming ashore in the first place. If Belfast/Larne then head towards the North coast, Donegal and then travel south along the west coast (Sligo, Mayo, Galway direction). All along the west coast, providing the weather at least stays dry-ish you will be blessed with stunning scenery, towns and villages well worth stopping for, fairly friendly locals and no end of decent camp/caravan sites. Be prepared for the prices tho. Did a road trip through the west in June and the strong euro meant that even staple groceries were far from cheap. Good luck.
  14. :D How many ARRSE posts are sealed with a kiss?
  15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I can vouch for Galway, headed out there one summer and was quite shocked, far west, yet really cosmopolitan (i.e. multinational) . University town (city), and a real nice scene going on.