Places to stay en route to Australia - Recommendations?

It’s a tiny bit of a detour but Siem Reap in Cambodia is worth a day or two, including the various Angkor temples.

It’s much cheaper than Singapore too.
I'm going to sound like Johnny 2 shits (you've all met him, if you've just had a shit then he's just had 2) but shout out for The Privilege Floor at Lotus Blanc hotel, Siem Reap! Flew from Singers, lots of flight choice and 90 min flight. The hotel is outstanding in every way, probably the best I've ever stayed in for the staff and their attention. We had a lovely room, driver and a tour guide, food was incredible and included 'happy hour' from 5 - 7 with hors d'ouvres. In fact the booze was free (free mini bar also) and the staff 'suggested' we got a bottle of wine just before 7 which we drank with dinner. Every time we went back to the room after day out there was a bottle of wine, some food and fresh fruit in the room. Same day laundry included, pick up and drop off from the airport. Half the price we paid for the Goodwood hotel in Singapore. You really have to see the Angkor Wat, absolutely remarkable. It is hot but the worst thing is the humidity.

NSP

LE
Dubai / Qatar etc is out, purely on the basis you can only drink in hotels there, and last time I went to Dubai it cost me 35 flip-flops for a 500ml glass of Stella and that was back in 2010. It's probably over a tenner a beer now.
You've not been to Norway, have you? Haugesund - £7 for a 330ml stubbie of Heineken... And that was about ten years ago.

By the by, anywhere in Singers is okay safety-wise (or was last time I was there) so a lower-priced hotel might suffice. As I recall public transport is plentiful, efficient and cost-effective (but note the "no Durian" rule) so if you're staying away from the "happening" areas it's no biggie to bus/train/taxi in, and out again. Avoid Changi unless you like the ladyboys - although the Meridien was comfortable and posh enough the couple of times I got shoved in there (handy for the airport and Loyang docks). Orchard Towers is, as far as I know, still known as "four floors of whores" - but as you say, perhaps not with She Who Casts No Shadow in tow.

However, as others have pointed out you can now spin over to Oz direct from the UK without the need for a layover if you go Qantas. And you can stand seventeen hours in cattle class without a decent leg stretch...

Either way, Oz or Singers will both give you one of those "experience of a lifetime" feelings for NYE so it'll ultimately boil down to the size of your bank balance and how much you want to impress spoil the squeeze.

I'm going to sound like Johnny 2 shits (you've all met him, if you've just had a shit then he's just had 2) but shout out for The Privilege Floor at Lotus Blanc hotel, Siem Reap! Flew from Singers, lots of flight choice and 90 min flight. The hotel is outstanding in every way, probably the best I've ever stayed in for the staff and their attention. We had a lovely room, driver and a tour guide, food was incredible and included 'happy hour' from 5 - 7 with hors d'ouvres. In fact the booze was free (free mini bar also) and the staff 'suggested' we got a bottle of wine just before 7 which we drank with dinner. Every time we went back to the room after day out there was a bottle of wine, some food and fresh fruit in the room. Same day laundry included, pick up and drop off from the airport. Half the price we paid for the Goodwood hotel in Singapore. You really have to see the Angkor Wat, absolutely remarkable. It is hot but the worst thing is the humidity.
I never stayed at these places because I was living/working there.

The available range is very wide, from $10 a night backpacker hostels, to $3,000 a night for the Amanserai, where Bradjolina used to stay (and where each suite has its own private swimming pool).

Personally I don’t go much over the rate needed to get me aircon and on-suite, preferring to preserve the extra beer tokens for, well, beer. But each to their own...and the circumstances you find yourself in. SWMBO may prefer the sorts of places that have spas...

But if anyone does want to go to Siem Reap, PM me and I’ll give some recommendations.

The_Duke

LE
Seafood our favourite cuisine. Get in. Well, 3rd for me behind Mexican and Italian...

Glad to hear about all pockets too. I was a little concerned it would be pricey all over.
Head to Lau Pau Sat and nearby Satay Alley at night for reasonably priced scoff. They are a (perfectly safe) short walk from Clark Quay for an unreasonably expensive beer.

The nightly laser show on Marina Bay is pretty good too.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
You've not been to Norway, have you? Haugesund - £7 for a 330ml stubbie of Heineken... And that was about ten years ago.

By the by, anywhere in Singers is okay safety-wise (or was last time I was there) so a lower-priced hotel might suffice. As I recall public transport is plentiful, efficient and cost-effective (but note the "no Durian" rule) so if you're staying away from the "happening" areas it's no biggie to bus/train/taxi in, and out again. Avoid Changi unless you like the ladyboys - although the Meridien was comfortable and posh enough the couple of times I got shoved in there (handy for the airport and Loyang docks). Orchard Towers is, as far as I know, still known as "four floors of whores" - but as you say, perhaps not with She Who Casts No Shadow in tow.

However, as others have pointed out you can now spin over to Oz direct from the UK without the need for a layover if you go Qantas. And you can stand seventeen hours in cattle class without a decent leg stretch...

Either way, Oz or Singers will both give you one of those "experience of a lifetime" feelings for NYE so it'll ultimately boil down to the size of your bank balance and how much you want to impress spoil the squeeze.
Awesome.

Yeah part of me is thinking if we're going all that way, why not push the boat out a bit accommodation wise, and cut back on what we spend on excursion type stuff. We narrowed down trivago to 5 star hotels and quite surprised to see some of them coming in at under 600 for 3 nights around NY.

Head to Lau Pau Sat and nearby Satay Alley at night for reasonably priced scoff. They are a (perfectly safe) short walk from Clark Quay for an unreasonably expensive beer.

The nightly laser show on Marina Bay is pretty good too.
That's the type of thing we travel for. I joke about Greenland, but it's on my list as it's quite unique and what a place to visit to see the Aurora Abol... Auora... An... Northern Lights.

I'm writing all these places down and I'm starting to think 3 nights might not be enough. Not when we're all at Carol's and watching Home and Away & Neighbours 2 years into the future and seeing how many farts I can get away with in their sex pond in the summer evenings.

I'd not advise the direct Perth or short couple of hours stopover flights. They're knackering, worse than flying down to the FI by Herc IMO.

If you can find an excuse to visit for some reason, the British Consulate has fantastic views over Sydney Harbour and the bridge - keep away from any female LE staff with wild staring eyes, they'll hunt you down.

Lots of eating and drinking gaffs around the harbour but I'd probably make for one of the big Irish bars personally. I was lucky to visit on St Pats and by dint of not telling some annoying old bugger to feck off whilst I watched the match, got to drink freebies with his son's band as they toured Sydney. Cracking day.

Perth centre is fine, the suburbs are like Milton Keynes writ large though, avoid. Had an excellent Gurkha goat curry in Subiaco mind. Avoid the chicken on any river cruise unless you want to discover the delights of campylobacter (good for weight loss, bad for street cred having stained khaki shorts) but the cruises are good for winery visits.

Awesome.

Yeah part of me is thinking if we're going all that way, why not push the boat out a bit accommodation wise, and cut back on what we spend on excursion type stuff. We narrowed down trivago to 5 star hotels and quite surprised to see some of them coming in at under 600 for 3 nights around NY.

That's the type of thing we travel for. I joke about Greenland, but it's on my list as it's quite unique and what a place to visit to see the Aurora Abol... Auora... An... Northern Lights.

I'm writing all these places down and I'm starting to think 3 nights might not be enough. Not when we're all at Carol's and watching Home and Away & Neighbours 2 years into the future and seeing how many farts I can get away with in their sex pond in the summer evenings.
For a stopover rather than a full-up holiday, I'd suggest that 2 full days (3 nights) is enough in Singapore. Otherwise, you're turning it into a full up destination. If you want to do that and are prepared to skitter about a bit, 3 days is enough without being knackering (the heat and humidity can be debilitating), but any longer than that and you're really going to being cutting your time in Oz very short (and it's still a long (6-8 hour) flight from Singapore).

The_Duke

LE
I would second Sentosa for a walk around if SWMBO isn’t going to throw her toys over a bit of military tourism.

The Fullerton was always good to stay. The old post office building, bit of history, great location. I would use that over one of the shiny new towers when I was travelling there.

NSP

LE
Shop around - and be wary of online. I am currently in a rather nice hotel in Jersey that the internet said was "5 star." It is, in fact, five AA rosettes (plus a Michelin starred chef). A little different on the ground to an actual pukka 5-star hotel...

Not much but enough. £90 a night, if you're wondering - but I got a discounted rate for length of stay, pre-paying and because they originally booked me into a room at the back where the scaffolding and labourers are at the moment (I'm guessing someone reviewed the booking and decided that the length of my stay warranted a room at the front. Where I overlook a public convenience. I shit you not...).

Jersey_20191108_158.jpg

Ultimately, if the hotel is your focus for somewhere to enjoy oppulance and have some oppulently-surrounded sex pay big for the hotel and small for the entertainment. If your aim is to enjoy the place and the entertainments in the company of your lady, maybe impress a bit, show her the good life, pop the question and so on then the hotel is just the place you go to lay your head so maybe go a bit cheaper and save the readies for the venues and entertainments. And the batteries for your camera.

You can still have a good shag in a cheap but clean and well-run hotel as much as a posh, pricey one (although it goes without saying that smashing your bird - and taking your time about it - in a sumptuous kingsize in a posh hotel room where your room service waiter will bring your champagne order in and set it as you want it at 0900 whilst you are balls-deep without him batting an eyelid does have a certain je ne sais quois to it). Ask yourself what you're going there for: is it to spend the majority of the time in your hotel, either in your room or using the facilities (pool, spa, etc) or is it to kip in the hotel but eat out on the fly and spend most of the awake time seeing the sights, partying out or otherwise doing stuff away from your hotel? Plan - and budget - accordingly.

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Shop around - and be wary of online. I am currently in a rather nice hotel in Jersey that the internet said was "5 star." It is, in fact, five AA rosettes (plus a Michelin starred chef). A little different on the ground to an actual pukka 5-star hotel...
Yes I've developed a wee talent for interpreting Trip Advisor reviews lately and deciphering the genuine gripes from the benefit Brit type free holiday / compo blaggers.

It's precisely the reason we didn't go to Cape Verde end of Oct and why we ended up staying at the King Jason in Cyprus instead.

I've been to Cyprus loads of times if you count the SBA but this time was epic. Even hired an ATV and gave the missus a white knuckle ride up the mountains where we lost tracking occasionally overlooking a sheer drop on one side, but totally worth it to reach the Adonis baths and waterfalls, Tala Monestary and cat sanctuary. Great day out.

They waited until we got back in one piece to tell us they'd lost a couple of their fleet to that particular route this year already...

But the hotel was spot on. Ultra all inclusive, champagne & chocs, 4 pools and 47% off cos we changed it last minute and was about a week prior to our departure :thumleft:

NSP

LE
Yes I've developed a wee talent for interpreting Trip Advisor reviews lately and deciphering the genuine gripes from the benefit Brit type free holiday / compo blaggers.

It's precisely the reason we didn't go to Cape Verde end of Oct and why we ended up staying at the King Jason in Cyprus instead.

I've been to Cyprus loads of times if you count the SBA but this time was epic. Even hired an ATV and gave the missus a white knuckle ride up the mountains where we lost tracking occasionally overlooking a sheer drop on one side, but totally worth it to reach the Adonis baths and waterfalls, Tala Monestary and cat sanctuary. Great day out.

They waited until we got back in one piece to tell us they'd lost a couple of their fleet to that particular route this year already...

But the hotel was spot on. Ultra all inclusive, champagne & chocs, 4 pools and 47% off cos we changed it last minute and was about a week prior to our departure :thumleft:
At the end of the day, the important thing is to just go and enjoy yourselves.

But your army time will give you the benefit of knowing the 7Ps and how to apply them. Do the prep, ignore the latent wibblers (such as future MiL) and crack on. You can only plan so much - make one and then test it. If it fails at any point the advantage of the internet is you can change it on the fly. E.g. If you find that your hotel is shit, whip out your phone, book a new one, whistle up an Uber and bugger off there instead. Simples....

The key here is you seem to want to give your bird an epic whilst having one yourself - which is nice but you might need to give her some say so let her into the planning phase in the broad terms but keep a few little surprises back to spring on her when you're out there.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Do the prep, ignore the latent wibblers (such as future MiL) and crack on.

The key here is you seem to want to give your bird an epic whilst having one yourself - which is nice but you might need to give her some say so let her into the planning phase in the broad terms but keep a few little surprises back to spring on her when you're out there.
Both the A/MiL and A/FiL are very seasoned travellers themselves. In fact, they had to get an extra metallic panel to hang up to take care of all the extra fridge magnets they've accumulated over the years. Thinking about it now, this must be where she gets it from... :scratch:

April will be my opportunity to spring a few surprises (anniversary) as we tend to plan these things in equal measures. I just thought I'd throw it out there because I know there are some very VERY well travelled individuals on this website and there's a good chance with our common backgrounds we'll like the same stuff.

For example this:

I would second Sentosa for a walk around if SWMBO isn’t going to throw her toys over a bit of military tourism.

The Fullerton was always good to stay. The old post office building, bit of history, great location. I would use that over one of the shiny new towers when I was travelling there.
Again, a big help. She's got quite a lot of time for military - especially having had family served (inc USAF) which I do find a bit odd since she's lived near Colly her whole life...

Problem I found with the Fullerton was because it was never designed as a hotel a lot of the rooms have no views, the windows are fairly narrow slits high up the walls. I suppose it let natural light in without the ability for the workers to gawk outside instead of cracking on. Although it does have an absolutely amazing breakfast buffet with stations from around the world. Now the Fullerton Bay hotel is not high rise and has superb views of, well the Bay :)

Happy to give recommendations in PM as I have a mate out there. Ex RM, Falklands vet, runs his own commercial diving company. My wife was born in Singers (father was RN Chief Writer) and went back there aged 13/14, our friend took us to all the places she could remember and a load of others.

Latest Threads