PLA Troops Reported Massing At N Korean Border

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Oct 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Agence France Presse via the Daily Times (Pakistan), 9 October 2004:

"HONG KONG: China has deployed up to 150,000 troops on its border with North Korea to deter Pyongyang's nuclear build-up and to stifle mounting violence from rogue North Korean soldiers, a report here said Sunday.

"Hong Kong's Sunday Morning Post cited an unidentified security source in China as saying five divisions of Chinese People's Liberation Army ...troops had been deployed in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture, bordering NorthKorea, since last month.

"Large troop movements and new military barracks have also been seen in the border towns of Hanchun, Tumen, Kaishan, Sanhe and Baijing, while air force jets have frequently been seen flying over the capital Yanji, some 40 kilometres from the border, the report said.

"Hong Kong's Chinese language Sing Tao Daily has earlier reported that three PLA units -- each with 50,000 troops and including armoured divisions -- had been deployed along Chinana's (sic) 1,400 kilometre border with North Korea.

"The paper quoted a Chinese foreign ministry source as saying tht the move had been aimed at deterring North Korea from continuing its nuclear build-up and to pressure Pyongyang into holding talks on the nuclear crisis with the United States."

"China Deploys 150,000 Troops On Korean Border"

I was under the impression that North Korea was a "client" state dependent on China for its daily bread. It seems counter-intuitive to me that the Pyongyang government would defy Beijing to the point of inspiring PLA troop movements.

It also seems odd to me that China would feel obliged to resort to implied threats of invasion to maintain control over the North Korean nuclear program.

I've also read that Kim Jong-il is not in the best of health. He has two adult sons by two different women. I've read elsewhere that each intends to be dad's successor and hates the other like poison.
  2. A big possible "Oh Feck" 8O Although Geo-politically it would remove a problem :idea: As for Russia.time for a re-appraissal I think :wink:
  3. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

Nothing will happen because T Bliar says so. We don't need our infantry regiments so why do they need theirs? :evil:
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I note that the source of this story is a French press agency reporting a story in a Pakistani newspaper.

Reuters, the BBC, Faux News et al seem to have missed it.....
  5. This could prove quite interesting, though my gut feeling is that little will come of it. I do not think that the term 'client state' can still be applied to North Korea vis-a-vís PR China. Certainly since the 'reforms' under Diem in the 1980s the two countries have drawn apart somewhat. It is probable that the Chinese regard North Korea with a certain wariness and embarrassment due to the state of collapse of the regime in Pyongyang and its fanatically Stalinist nature - added to this is that most of the world regard Kim Jong-il as insane (worth noting is that Kim Il-Sung is still head of state or 'Eternal President', despite being dead since 1994).

The North Korean regime is quite literally falling apart, and my impression is that there seems to be an 'every man for himself' manner of thinking gaining hold outside of the capital. The Chinese are probably protecting themselves more than anything as they are very much on the frontline, so to speak, when North Korea eventually implodes - I have heard tell of thousands of refugees from the North hiding out in the mountains on the Chinese side of the border. I don't imagine that Beijing was ecstatic when North Korea sold nuclear technology to Iran, so that factor may also need to be taken into account. If it appears from this distance that it is only a matter of when North Korea collapses, then I am sure the Chinese are far more aware of this than others. The BBC News website is definitely worth a look for those interested in North Korea, and it also throws light on the complicated 'succession' issue which may have upped the ante in Pyongyang. At this stage I think the regime may be so desperate it is taking greater and greater risks.
  6. Interesting that no HK new report of this.

However, China has every reason to blockade or close off the border, as the threat of invasion, not by North Korean troops, but the masses attempting to escape that nut case of a country. Would not be the first time they have done this.

more interesting is N Korean threat that any sanctions against them (by the UN) for not stopping nuclear development would mean an act of war! So that's being handled well.
  7. Actully chaps, I think this is an old story, one from about a year back. I remember it.

The site is confusingly laid out, with the date at the top but I reckon this is an archive article, check the "other news" listed in the side column.
  8. well its not too hard to destroy the country without using military hardware , just stop the food supply and also when kim dies there will be a civil war when kim 2 sons vies for power