PJ Receives DFC for Heroism

He got gripped later in the day for using BSN 1 cookhouse in UBACS and that beard...

BZ that man.

You don't have to be a pilot to receive the British version either:
WW2Awards.com said:
The DFC was established on June 3rd, 1918, the birthday of King George V, and is awarded to Officers and Warrant officers for "an act or acts of valour and courage or devotion to duty performed whilst flying in active operations against the enemey"
List of recipients, including several wireless operators, air gunners, etc., here.

Let me get this straight. He was awarded a DFC because the enemy managed to hit the helicopter he was in with an RPG?
"Unaware at first that an RPG had pierced the helicopter, Hatzidakis shielded his British patient with his body"

"Hatzidakis continued to care for his patient and helped the flight engineer scan for additional enemy threats"

Sounds well deserved to me!

Sort of like Johnnie Frost getting a DSO Bar for being captured at Arnhem........
Isn't a DSO awarded for outstanding leadership in a command appointment? Having read A Bridge Too Far and various other books on the subject, I think 'outstanding' describes his leadership in that action. Next time your coy gp holds out for a week with small arms against a panzer bn, let us know how you get on!

PS. Well done, that PJ!

Isn't a DSO awarded for outstanding leadership in a command appointment? Having read A Bridge Too Far and various other books on the subject, I think 'outstanding' describes his leadership in that action. Next time your coy gp holds out for a week with small arms against a panzer bn, let us know how you get on!

PS. Well done, that PJ!
well said that man, Frost was an outstanding leader. Also led one of the most successful tri-service operations, at Bruneval (Op Biting?) as Company Commander , as well as leading the 2nd Battalion out of a vicious fighting withdrawl in North Africa as the Charlie Oscar.