Pitting gongs

Looking at the discussion on the QPJM thread, the issue was raised over whether people deployed on pitting should receive any medallic recognition.
After reading lots of articles and the video on BFBS with general Carleton-smith, seems that this could already be in the works. What's everyone's opinion?
Around our Sqn, the consensus is either a GSM with clasp, or OSM with pitting clasp is looking like the main options.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The people deployed either in Kabul, on the sorties in and out, or in direct support of it in Dubai etc
As one who, unfortunately, has only been able to watch and admire the Armed Forces from a distance, I'm all for whatever reward and recognition the country can offer.

(Extra smooth and shiny if Cutaway gets one!)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking at the discussion on the QPJM thread, the issue was raised over whether people deployed on pitting should receive any medallic recognition.
After reading lots of articles and the video on BFBS with general Carleton-smith, seems that this could already be in the works. What's everyone's opinion?
Around our Sqn, the consensus is either a GSM with clasp, or OSM with pitting clasp is looking like the main options.
Why? I can't think of a NEO that attracted a separate medal or clasp (although I may be wrong) especially one that took place in a theatre that already attracted recognition.

Why? I can't think of a NEO that attracted a separate medal or clasp (although I may be wrong) especially one that took place in a theatre that already attracted recognition.
I think the NEO for Libya started the qualification period?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps - but Libya wasn't an extant operation?
No but a medal was subsequently awarded for Ellamy. Most NEOs lead to some form of enduring operation. Pitting was unique in as much as it was a NEO at the end of an operation.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No but a medal was then awarded for Ellamy.
OK....but Afghanistan was ongoing since 2001 under VERITAS, JACANA, HERRICK, TORAL, CATTALO etc etc. The NEO was difficult yes, but not as difficult as a kinetic tour a few years before.

OSM w/clasp Afghanistan, no idea why it should get anything more.

OK....but Afghanistan was ongoing since 2001 under VERITAS, JACANA, HERRICK, TORAL, CATTALO etc etc. The NEO was difficult yes, but not as difficult as a kinetic tour a few years before.

Possibly with a criteria to match Op Deference which I think was one 24hr period ground based ops or one sortie etc...

FEASG

LE
This whole thing will be decided by the politics of the day. While I feel that all involved did a cracking job (stand fast those that totally miss called , how fast the ANA would implode and in my view , were asleep at the wheel). I think that with the fuel drought and supplies shortage. The government will want to move on, draw a line under the whole matter and forget it.

In the years, immediately, after the Falklands war. There was talk of a GSM- 62, with a Falklands Bar. The Argentine Air Force and Navy would still, fly and Sail towards the TEZ and we would get crashed out to the Key points. But the biggest threat to troops was un marked mine fields and Elephant seals. So it was quietly dropped (Although some units were later given the SA medal, as they were deemed to have been in theatre during the period of hostilities).

My gut feeling is this will go the same way, but with a smattering of awards in the next New Years Honours. But I would be very happy, to be proved wrong. Having just seen @Danny_Dravot 's post, mentioning OP- DEFERENCE (I must admit I don't know what this was) there seems to be a precedence. But as I have said, it all depends where the PR machine, wants the publics attention to be.

This whole thing will be decided by the politics of the day. While I feel that all involved did a cracking job (stand fast those that totally miss called , how fast the ANA would implode and in my view , were asleep at the wheel). I think that with the fuel drought and supplies shortage. The government will want to move on, draw a line under the whole matter and forget it.

In the years, immediately, after the Falklands war. There was talk of a GSM- 62, with a Falklands Bar. The Argentine Air Force and Navy would still, fly and Sail towards the TEZ and we would get crashed out to the Key points. But the biggest threat to troops was un marked mine fields and Elephant seals. So it was quietly dropped (Although some units were later given the SA medal, as they were deemed to have been in theatre during the period of hostilities).

My gut feeling is this will go the same way, but with a smattering of awards in the next New Years Honours. But I would be very happy, to be proved wrong. Having just seen @Danny_Dravot 's post, mentioning OP- DEFERENCE (I must admit I don't know what this was) there seems to be a precedence. But as I have said, it all depends where the PR machine, wants the publics attention to be.
politics is all about proximity to problems - a variation of a Milligram effect - given HMA was under specific and direct threat for a protracted period, I'd be astonished if a specific medal wasn't approved. My guess would be a GSM 08 with a Pitting bar. I'd also expect a couple of CBEs, an OBE, a couple of MBEs and a handful of QCVS and JCCs

OEM Retreat from Kabul MK2?

the_Bat

Old-Salt

You missed out TARROCK.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Will any medals include us civies who flew in the air bridge between Dubai and the UK working indirectly for the MoD?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Will any medals include us civies who flew in the air bridge between Dubai and the UK working indirectly for the MoD?
You flew it in, but who built it when it arrived ?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Risk? Rigour?

Latest Threads