Pistol Shooting

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Nov 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents thanks for the information on Enfield/Mauser.
    Now another 'Tale' has surfaced from the Old Nackers association, some of who have been around.
    The tale goes like this. You can point 'Naturally' at a target with your Fourth finger (one next to thumb).
    The story says that 'Certain special people' are trained to hold their pistol with the Fourth finger pointing along the slide and only two lower fingers around the magazine housing. The trigger is pulled by the Longest 'Middle' finger. The left hand then supports the pistol as firer finds convenient.
    Any one know if their is any truth in the above ?
  2. I don't know about special people, but I have seem some use that method and it worked for them (As opposed to THEM).
  3. I have heard of it and my immediate thought is 'Polish' but I can't put my finger on why (excuse the pun).
  4. I just tried holding my PP that way (that's PP as in Walther not..well, never mind..) and the pointed finger lies along the frame and slide line and will amplify the chances of thumb-web catch. It doesn't sit so high on the Browning HP but feels a lot less stable. I guess with practice it works but to me it's less instinctive.
  5. I think it was Fairbain the bloke who helped design the comando knife who thought this stile up he was an officer in the Shanghai police and had some pretty extream ideas.one was to weld the safety catch on a Thomson gun in the fire position, I have tried his shooting grip and it does work but it is not a target grip it is meant for use in snap shooting ,gunfight role

He wrote a book "Ready for Anything" i think it was called
  6. Thanks Tarten,I was pretty sure I had it almost right trust the septics to steel the glory Applegatewas a bit of a late starter the other two had been at for a 1or 2 years before he turned up
  7. I think you will find this is 99.9% myth. I'd be very surprised if a single current professional combat shooter (using handguns anyway) does this.

IIRC it circulated as a hearsay-of-hearsay rumour from time to time during the 80s, but everyone who tried it (I didn't) gave it short shrift.

I could probably dissect why it's likely to be no good as a technique, if anyone's interested, but I suspect it is fairly obvious.

Edited to add: Have read the Google entry, thanks. Still very sceptical!
  8. I have a pici of me trying this but i dont know how to put it on the thread
  9. The Wiki entry is referring to something different - the sort of "muscle memory" you get after a lot of practice with a particular firearm and with the grip you habitually use. You can "point shoot" with anything that you are very accustomed to: e.g. I had a FAL that I could hit snap targets with, not using the sights at all.

The "Finger alongside" grip appears to be just one of those fads where someone tried to think up something different (probably to sell a practical pistol book...). I have tried it, and its essentially worthless with anything fullbore - the loss of grip completely nullifies any advantage of trying to shoot where your finger is pointed (assuming you have a straight digit in the first place!).
  10. Look further down the page, it is there.
  11. It does not work well with a revolver but i have used it with a few auto's and found it ok Browning HP,and CZ75, but on anything with more poke S&W 745 not much cop.
  12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

That was my first thought too - not a nice image for lunchtime.
  13. I seem to remember that that's how le Carre describes one of his characters has having been taught to shoot in 'A Perfect Spy'. Which might point to a connection to his time in the 'Diplomatic Service', and fit in with the Fairburn genesis and it being used by 'special people', at one point, anyway.

Somewhere I've got a copy of a late fourties docudrama called 'Now it can be told' where SOE agents (played by ex-SOE agents) are taught something akin to the point shooting mentioned above. If I can dig it out I'll try and see how they're holding their pistols.
  14. Do you mind if I ask what "ok" meant? Generally improved accuracy? Or that it seemed to work about as well as you were used to with a traditional grip? In fact, what overall grip were you using - weaver, isosceles, car, or maybe the modified version adopted by some fellas for CQB and room clearance?

I mentioned this to a fellow antique earlier and he laughed and said it was all Jack Ruby's fault, told me to look at the photo of Lee Harvey Oswald being shot – one thing led to another and, Google being my friend, I came across a whole shed load of dicussion of this subject. One example here.

Still didn't see much to recommend the technique unless you're missing an index finger.

Geeks try Googling and be amazed by how much discussion there is on the subject....