Pistol shooting, is there a future?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Mighty_doh_nut, Aug 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone seen, used any of Alan Westlakes attempts to get round the UK pistol regulations?

Anyone still compete in any of the pistol events outside 10m Air Pistol?

2. I believe it is still possible to get a licence to own a pistol; I know a farmer who received permission to own and fire a Colt Python for the "humane dispatch of game" (and destruction of beer cans at 25yds) subject to the usual conditions and with the emphasis that it was not self defence to keep it loaded under the bed in order to shoot burglars.

3. I would be carefull showing interest in any sport that could be linked to "mod ccksuckers".

If the 2012 olipcs with billions of YOUR FCUKING MONEY destrioy trhe basics.???

I sometime wonder if the British person is here.

British person. ******///////

4. I've often toyed with the idea of going back to shooting - and then I see stuff on here about further restrictions of one sort or another and decide its not a good idea.

5. No point, they'd only ban it, not tell anyone, arrest you and treat you like the worst criminal ever to walk the earth.

We're about to see knives of any kind get banned, i'm pretty sure that UK law states most leathermans and Gerbers are actually illegal as they have a lockable blade in the better models, i'm even worrying that they might even consider banning sporks as they sound bad.

6. In terms of non muzzle loading only if you are up for the likes of these:

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/lb_revolvers.html

Minimum 12" barrel, min overall length 24". Good on you to those who do use them but to me they do have more than just a hint of the contraption about them.

7. You can still have Pistols in Section one on an FAC for Slaughtering Instruments, Signal Pistols, and for starting Athletics races. You may not have Section One for target shooting or any other purpose.

Section Seven covers Historic Firearms which may be fired at Designated Sites.

Section Five covers all other pistols and may only be granted by the Secretary of State (not the local Old Bill).

Section Five will be the way that the Government will allow the British Pistol shooters to compete in the 2012 Olympics. Permission will be revoked immediately after. For that reason I believe that ALL shooters in the UK should boycott the shooting sports in 2012.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I agree that we should boycott the games only for siting shooting at Woolwich!
    Now as for pistols and revolvers Revolvers can still obviously be owned on section 1 as long barrelled items. The Govt idiots (tories at the time) didnt even have a legal definition of eiother so created the term handgun in legal terms and also carbine. Neither had any context in UK firearms legislation till the bandwagon could be jumped on. If I knew where hamiltons remains were I annually piss on them!

9. Aside from shooting whilst in green with the SP, haven't heard of proper pistol shooting at all. Boring! Service Pistol matches are a laugh, but I guess for civvies it's not possible.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is no reason that section 7 pistols cant be shot in practical matches under practical competition rules provided the information learnt is used for study of these weapons in a historical context!
    You just need a section 7 facility with an imaginative owner!

11. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

I would have more fun being able to do that on the police who quite happily allowed it to happen - and got away with it!

12. im not sure what the law is on the mainland but here in northern ireland you can own a pistol if you have been a member of a gun club for over 12months. :?

13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Spoke to the local PSNI licencing officer when she called to check our gun cabinet the other day - apparently there's no legal requirement to be club member for 12 months - the clubs impose this time restriction themselves. The gunsmith I go to is heavily involved in a local club, and says that serving and ex police/mil personnel usually get their chits signed very quickly.

The other bit of news is that PSNI are turning FAC applications around much more quickly.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Funny that about PSNI getting applications done quicker, over here we have a new computor as is evidenced by your cert number having extra digits on the end nowadays and its gone from 8 weeks to 12 in my experience!