Pistol Shooting in the UK.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realise that private ownership of pistols has been practically outlawed in the UK, but there must be thousands of ex-pistol shooters out there.

What are they all doing now? Have most of them gone over to rifle shooting instead?

Air pistol?

Muzzle loading?

Or dropped it totally?

Anyone have any facts and figures? Or indeed personal experience?

Just curious.

Regards
    T_T

2. Its's been outlawed in Great Britain,not the whole UK :wink:

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Personal experience.
    I was a plod during and after Dunblane. I was also a pistol shooter. I shot at our own police range, and was a member of a club too. Knee jerk reaction by my force meant the closure of the police range. When FAC came up for renewal I was told I had too many guns. I had a black powder Remingtom .44 A .22 Star semi, a Smith and Wesson .22 target and a 10" barreled Ruger revolver chambered for .22 and .22 magnum. I argued the toss and eventually won, but soon afterward the ban on handguns came in, I could have retained my black powder revolver and .22 Remington Rifle, but it was made clear that as a serving officer, I was not showing a good example, so I gave it up. Wish I had had more guts then. Wouldn't give in so easily now.

We have a Vintage Arms club that shoots on our ranges once a month. Good selection of black powder pistols present. They are tremendous fun, but one needs to be dedicated.

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

This pistol shooter carried on with SP until retirement, switched to ISSF Air without much enthusiasm, and took up Gallery Rifle for a bit. But, when the family handguns [around a dozen, IIRC, accumulated over the years] had been shredded, basically the lights went out. If I'd wanted to do rifle, I'd have been doing it anyway ... and I'd been there in the past, before I switched to concentrating on pistol.

I then emigrated to a sensible jurisdiction [OK, air pistols and rifles have to go on FAC, but WTF], bought a FAS .22 and a Glock ... and I potter a bit. Not the same without the big Meetings, like NPA, though, and after 51 years of "making holes in paper" it's rather hard to get enthusiastic.

If I was good enough [I was once 8) ] I could have tried for the Island's Commonwealth Games Team, but it seemed like too much hard work to get back to speed :wink:

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The only figure I recall was that 64,000 FAC holders had 1 or more pistols on their tickets. Most I would assume also had rifles so it is probably impossible to figure out.

6. Is pistol shooting as a sport still alve and well in Northern Ireland then?

What about the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands, were they exempt too?

7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The Bailiwick of Jersey allows pistol shooting, and it thrives. Jersey Pistol Club membership totals nearly 200, and there are other Shooting Clubs as well [I believe the Island total is 34, covering everything from Air through to Modern and Military]. Not bad for a population of 90,000 on 45 square miles!

... 'Cos The Channel Islands [that's [1] Jersey, and [2] Guernsey who also governs the little islands] and IOM are Crown Dependencies, with our own Governments. We are not part of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". But we are a British Island :roll:

I have no idea what happens in IOM or Guernsey, though. They're sort of "foreign". :wink:

8. Pistol shooting is very alive and well in NI,three clubs within six miles of my home and I have just joined two of them. All firearms are balistically tested before reaching their owners and the full application process for a FAC is carried out every four years. There is no and never has been a problem with legal handguns in NI so when the post Dunblane regs came in NI was exempt even though sensibly air weapons are and always have been required to be held "on ticket"

9. I'll have to take issue with you there. Why do you think air weapons should be on ticket?

For many people their first experience of shooting has been plinking with air weapons in their back gardens. Of course I realise that there have been a few regrettable incidents where idiots have misused them, but on the whole I feel that air weapons can be a reasonably safe, and easily accessible introduction to shooting.

10. What nonsense, pistol shooting is alive and well in England, just get yourself down to Peckham on a Saturday night and, er, pop a cap into as many asses as you wish.

11. Lets face it,firearms laws in this country are a F**king Joke,that have gotten even worse since the introduction of the VCRB last year.

I as an adult am not allowed to legally buy a non-firing replica of a Colt SAA(Peacemaker),but I can buy a CO2 Beretta 92,as long as I buy it face to face,over the counter.

Everyone in this country should be under no illusion,pistol shooting has gone never to return,thanks to unelected bodies like ACPO,and the Gun Network,yes I was a pistol shooter,yes I handed them in,and no I got no compensation from the lying turds in government.

So enjoy shooting the Taliban whilst you can! :lol:

12. So very true!

I went down the rifle route and now have a bigger armoury then before; mainly Lee Enfields, Sniders and one Martini Henry.
    I also enter the NRA Civilian Service Rifle events as well as LERA and HBSA meetings along with some fellow arssers, so life after pistol is just about bearable.

13. I am currently a non FAC holding full member of a Home Office approved shooting club. When I shoot full-bore, I use the club kit... sort of! There is a rifle on the club ticket paid for by me, and (by gentleman's agreement) only used by me. I will eventually re-apply for my FAC, but so far, this has been a very good way of sidestepping all the bureaucracy.

I used to have pistols when they were allowed. These days, I keep my hand in with air/CO2 pistols. Other shooters have gone over to the gallery rifle, which has become a sort of surrogate pistol. Typically, these are lever action Winchesters and Marlins, chambered for pistol rounds such as .357 magnum. The practices shot are rapid fire and IMHO are very much like the old SMG shoots.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)

14. Because we have little or no crime or vandalism carried out with them as no scrote can just go in and buy one,if anyone wants one legally why not licence them after all they are firearms ie lethal barreld weapon.

15. I don't agree with licensing everything just because it can potentially be misused.