Pistol ID please

I thought that’s what it was, then I thought , no that’d be stupid.
Err, single-action pistols are designed to be carried cocked with the safety on. Otherwise there's no point to having the safety.

Particularly with older ones, it can sometimes be massively unsafe to leave the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

As for thumb-cocking the hammer, don't make oi larf. Completely unnatural and difficult movement to carry out in a stress situation. Hollywood BS.

Err, single-action pistols are designed to be carried cocked with the safety on. Otherwise there's no point to having the safety.

Particularly with older ones, it can sometimes be massively unsafe to leave the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

As for thumb-cocking the hammer, don't make oi larf. Completely unnatural and difficult movement to carry out in a stress situation. Hollywood BS.
Loaded chamber in any weapon - dangerous unless pointed at the enemy?

Aah, the French bolt-action rifle approach to safety, rendering the safety catch obsolete......

It can't go off in a proper holster... Seriously though, if you need to carry a holstered pistol, you need to carry one up the spout. You can't be fumbling with your spare hand (assuming you can use it) while drawing in order to make the pistol ready.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Nothing Hollywood about it. It was a thing called the Israeli carry. 40years later I’d still think it a better idea. But, it’s what you’re used to.

Nothing Hollywood about it. It was a thing called the Israeli carry. 40years later I’d still think it a better idea. But, it’s what you’re used to.
And Fairbairn was teaching "Israeli Carry" before Israel was a thing. It's also in the first British Army Browning Hi Power pam from the 1950's.

Now considered practically suicidal amongst US cops, military and CCW folks.

The Hollywood reference is to thumbing back the hammer, which is not any part of "israeli carry".

I still wouldn't want to be anywhere near it unless the handler was supremely competent and very well practised.

It does seem like an ND waiting to happen.
Thats what training is for, if your bit of the army didn't train you then you were in the wrong bit. We certainly received great pistol training and used them regularly. I was in an Infantry unit!

I carried one up the spout or working parts to the rear on LMG and GPMG for two years and didn't have a single accident. There was one ND in our platoon and it was on the 1 metre range. A big and daft Geordie hadn't checked the face of the bolt was clear.

Ni

No safety on a sig :)
Only ever issued a Browning or a Walther, both had safeties and were single action so absolutely safe, I assume the Sig is DA and has a grip safety of sorts?

Only ever issued a Browning or a Walther, both had safeties and were single action so absolutely safe, I assume the Sig is DA and has a grip safety of sorts?
It does not have a grip safety. It does have a decocker.

I carried one up the spout or working parts to the rear on LMG and GPMG for two years and didn't have a single accident. There was one ND in our platoon and it was on the 1 metre range. A big and daft Geordie hadn't checked the face of the bolt was clear.
In what kind of situation did you carry a cocked GPMG? I never encountered that. While moving In the IDF we only had the link inserted. Upon engaging we would "throw" the MAG (GPMG) forward while pulling back the cocking handle.

In what kind of situation did you carry a cocked GPMG? I never encountered that. While moving In the IDF we only had the link inserted. Upon engaging we would "throw" the MAG (GPMG) forward while pulling back the cocking handle.

Israeli carry for GPMGs too?

First shot takes a much longer trigger pull after its being decocked.

COP/COT drills as taught at NIPG. The L4 LMG drill was to have the select lever to auto and only on safe when crossing obstacles but that we were advised was a step too far!
Edited to add, every time we went out of the gate we were already made ready, caused a few turned heads in UDR bases when some UDR beret wearing blokes they didn't recognise all made ready at the loading bay! It was worth the pain and shit stags just for that allyness!

Last edited:
First shot takes a much longer trigger pull after its being decocked.
So strictly speaking its not actually un cocked is it, its a double action the so called de cock simply sets it to double action only! Its cocked if a round is in the chamber and a pull of the trigger after removing any safety makes it fire.

So strictly speaking its not actually un cocked is it, its a double action the so called de cock simply sets it to double action only! Its cocked if a round is in the chamber and a pull of the trigger after removing any safety makes it fire.
Strictly speaking - correct. I wouldnt feel having my 226 with one in the chamber and decocked is particularly dangerous way to carry it.