Pissed Arrows

7 Display Pilots - so Diamond 9 formation is out?

7 Display Pilots - so Diamond 9 formation is out?
The display for 2022 is a 7-ship due to the foreign misdemeanors, but the Reds can put up a 9-ship for flypasts (but no aerobatics) by including the Team Manager (Red 10) and the Officer Commanding (Red 11). We're not likely to see a Diamond 9 as that's not normally used for simple flypasts.

Edited to add: By having nine jets fly past Buckingham Palace recently with the smoke on, it might have saved Her Majesty from asking where the other two were, and an embarrassing explanation from the RAF.

Last edited:

964ST

LE
Soon as I get my 8x reading glasses back from the optician.
That’s fine you can take rear position in formations and do all round defence, watch for Bogies, Birds and Breathalysers.

There has been a Maverick, Goose, etc.

What about “Spider” 8 eyes are better than 2.

Old news. Misbehaviour on training in Cyprus, 2 sent home maybe 3 weeks ago. Rest of this year's display will be a 7-flight, unless flying "flat"* in which case, 9-flight.

* Due to bad weather/poor vis, very little precision flying - basically a fly-past with a couple of slow turns.

*** Betty swallox. Forum only showed the first entry for some reason...***
Greece. The last Ex SPRINGHAWK at Akrotiri was in May 2014, then Op SHADER got in the way and they moved to Greece. They have also used Croatia for their pre-season work-up.

Heard about this a good few weeks back. It definitely wasn’t last night.

“This year, the RAF Red Arrows will display with a seven-aircraft formation, rather than nine, as two of our formation pilots have moved to other roles within the RAF.”

Other roles. Ok then.

It won't take too much sleuthing to work out, you just look at the team line up for the past 2 years, work out who was due to rotate after 3 years and see which names in this year's team are no longer there and you stand an odds on chance of knowing who the offenders were.

The bigger challenge will be potentially training up potentially 5 newbies instead of 3

Heard about this a good few weeks back. It definitely wasn’t last night.

“This year, the RAF Red Arrows will display with a seven-aircraft formation, rather than nine, as two of our formation pilots have moved to other roles within the RAF.”

Other roles. Ok then.

Duty dit from a mate with enough bar code on his shoulders that every time he passes a till in Tesco it goes beep and recognises him as a tube of Pringles, is that there was a strong whiff of wife swapping and bullying involved with said sackings.

Bravo_Bravo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Duty dit from a mate with enough bar code on his shoulders that every time he passes a till in Tesco it goes beep and recognises him as a tube of Pringles, is that there was a strong whiff of wife swapping and bullying involved with said sackings.

Don't knock wife swapping; I got a fridge.

Don't knock wife swapping; I got a fridge.
It's been a well-hidden fact that it all went wrong and into the sphere of bullying when one of the reds was angling for a Mk 4 Cortina and all his oppo was prepared to go was a toaster. Some say that the offended Red went full-on mlllar-pagga and windmilled in at the end of camp BBQ while their team mates filled the paddling pool with jelly to watch the Budweiser-fulled bitch-off go into full effect. Air Vice Marshal (Graham) Norton went as far as trying to separate the pair with "their" handbag accidentally knocking out AS1(T) "Bomber" Harriss the circus sooty who flies back-seat to his now jelly encrusted and rather badly bruised boss.

By all accounts it was sheer carnage and the closest to any real action any of them have been sine the Battle for Larnaka Pool when the Gerry's got in first at the sun loungers with their beach towels in 1939! Far from being RTU'd they in fact won a DFC and Bar and have now joined the RAF Regt as the 4th SF.

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
It's been a well-hidden fact that it all went wrong and into the sphere of bullying when one of the reds was angling for a Mk 4 Cortina and all his oppo was prepared to go was a toaster. Some say that the offended Red went full-on mlllar-pagga and windmilled in at the end of camp BBQ while their team mates filled the paddling pool with jelly to watch the Budweiser-fulled bitch-off go into full effect. Air Vice Marshal (Graham) Norton went as far as trying to separate the pair with "their" handbag accidentally knocking out AS1(T) "Bomber" Harriss the circus sooty who flies back-seat to his now jelly encrusted and rather badly bruised boss.

By all accounts it was sheer carnage and the closest to any real action any of them have been sine the Battle for Larnaka Pool when the Gerry's got in first at the sun loungers with their beach towels in 1939! Far from being RTU'd they in fact won a DFC and Bar and have now joined the RAF Regt as the 4th SF.
That's what I like about this forum, sooner or later you get the full inside story.

Have they found the chandelier and is the penguin alright?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
F/Lt Will Cambridge is the guilty one as he is the one missing now but on our kids poster for seasons pilots.
The irony of his recent words to the press:

"Especially for myself as this will be my first full, proper season and I'm looking forward to the seaside shows as they are special."

F/Lt Will Cambridge is the guilty one as he is the one missing now but on our kids poster for seasons pilots.
What are the names on the list? The website only has the 7 displaying pilots plus Monty and R10 and I can't find an archived version.

Have they found the chandelier and is the penguin alright?
Is that some sort of code, or do you need medical help until the episode passes?

Latest Threads