Pissed Arrows

I'm hearing on the grapevine that one, gusting two, Red Arrows pilots have been sacked for getting pissed last night making them unavailable for a display at Headcorn today.

Anyone got any news on this?

I'm hearing on the grapevine that one, gusting two, Red Arrows pilots have been sacked for getting pissed last night making them unavailable for a display at Headcorn today.

If it is true that would take them down to about three, wouldn't it?

Time to get the formation display drones out, boys!

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Colour me shocked.

Not.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer

Heard about this a good few weeks back. It definitely wasn’t last night.

“This year, the RAF Red Arrows will display with a seven-aircraft formation, rather than nine, as two of our formation pilots have moved to other roles within the RAF.”

Other roles. Ok then.

Apparently the S⃥n⃥o⃥w⃥t⃥u⃥r⃥d⃥s⃥ Snowbirds have been grounded for a few days due to issues with the Automatic Opening Device on the parachutes.
I'm a bit baffled how that can be as it's a very simple device which uses an aneroid barometer, and a clockwork timer to determine the height and time after separation from the seat to open the chute ( 16,000 feet +/- 500 ft and 1 to 1 1/2 seconds).

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Heard about this a good few weeks back. It definitely wasn’t last night.

“This year, the RAF Red Arrows will display with a seven-aircraft formation, rather than nine, as two of our formation pilots have moved to other roles within the RAF.”

Other roles. Ok then.

Other roles -- cleaning the toilets with a toothbrush, painting coal white, etc?

wheel

LE
Good rumour, but unless BFBS are using an old vid with seven aircraft it doesn’t look to be true:

FFS he could have held the camera on the bird with the white off the shoulder blouse with the zip down the back just waiting for someone to give it a tug.

Tool

LE

Old news. Misbehaviour on training in Cyprus, 2 sent home maybe 3 weeks ago. Rest of this year's display will be a 7-flight, unless flying "flat"* in which case, 9-flight.

* Due to bad weather/poor vis, very little precision flying - basically a fly-past with a couple of slow turns.

*** Betty swallox. Forum only showed the first entry for some reason...***

philc

LE
Good rumour, but unless BFBS are using an old vid with seven aircraft it doesn’t look to be true:

Thank you for sharing, I stood on the Yacht club balcony watching this, got bored and went inside for another pint.

Oh and the lads and lasses on Westminster must be gutted being ferried to and fro on an old Lifeboat for a few beers, would of thought we could muster something a bit more robust.

glad rag

Old-Salt
Apparently the S⃥n⃥o⃥w⃥t⃥u⃥r⃥d⃥s⃥ Snowbirds have been grounded for a few days due to issues with the Automatic Opening Device on the parachutes.
I'm a bit baffled how that can be as it's a very simple device which uses an aneroid barometer, and a clockwork timer to determine the height and time after separation from the seat to open the chute ( 16,000 feet +/- 500 ft and 1 to 1 1/2 seconds).
'cos one of them didn't make it last year in a LL abandonment?

Last edited:

You probably mixed that up with the Red Barrows.

Headcorn is a [going into Rowan Atkinson mode] ' A small Kentish town with lots of sheep, an excellent Parachute Club I worked at post Army, and a daschund named Colin ' etc

It really ain't getting a Red Arrows demo - unless the Team Leader is shagging a locals daughter ?

I've seen that video, and as far as I can see (My trade in the RCAF was maintaining the Escape and Survival systems) they were outside the envelope for that seat, due to the attitude and sink rate of the aircraft at the time of ejection. It's not the first time that the Snowbirds have lost a crewmember due to the same. Everything functioned as it was designed though.

glad rag

Old-Salt
Apart from her seat turning and flying backwards and something about the "lanyard" being incorrectly routed.
Of course the ejection envelope and non briefed call didn't help either.....The report sadly points to vicarious errors.
RIP.

Latest Threads