Piss Taking US Pricing

Contrary to popular belief the prices here are not cheaper than everywhere else in the world. I just went along to get the lad's brake pads changed on his Mini, being me, before I went I checked online how much OEM pads cost = $273.00 for all four corners.

The dealer wanted $776.40.

Out of interest I called a well known dealership in the UK and asked how much = $440.00. I converted the price to USD.

Piss taking twats. Looks like I shall be teaching the offspring how to change brake pads.

The “well known dealership” in the UK was probably charging over the odds, a small back street garage would probably be cheaper still.

Contrary to popular belief the prices here are not cheaper than everywhere else in the world. I just went along to get the lad's brake pads changed on his Mini, being me, before I went I checked online how much OEM pads cost = $273.00 for all four corners.

Out of interest I called a well known dealership in the UK and asked how much = $440.00. I converted the price to USD.

Piss taking twats. Looks like I shall be teaching the offspring how to change brake pads.
Buy an American car then

You should've tried Australia....even more of a pricing whinging...

No, in all reality there are so many things are priced up and down, which kind of average out depending on where you live..

Just take a look at this real data..

Cost of Living Comparison Between London, United Kingdom And New York, NY, United States

It's mainly the utilities and higher (seemingly, compared to the rest of the UK) rent prices which put a skew on everything....and the lower-ish salaries

Compared to Canada, the US is cheaper on many things even when exchange is taken into account. You could be smuggling heroin, guns, or even Mexicans into Canada and all the border agents give a shïte about is if you have cigarettes, booze and how much you spent which has led to a national complex here it seems. I used to think it was a myth about how Canadians cross the border to buy clothing and shed what they wore over and cross back in their new threads until I saw it with my own eyes. I went to throw a drink container in a bin at a mall parking lot in Port Huron and noticed it was full of clothing and shoes......

No, in all reality there are so many things are priced up and down, which kind of average out depending on where you live..

Cost of Living Comparison Between London, United Kingdom And New York, NY, United States

It's mainly the utilities and higher (seemingly, compared to the rest of the UK) rent prices which put a skew on everything....and the lower-ish salaries
To clarify, are you suggesting NY is cheaper and NY salaries are higher?

You can find the same pricing differential in the UK or anywhere I imagine.
I always shop around. Don't they have a 'quickfit' equivalent stateside?

The majority of that cost is labour charge, $80 to $100 an hour depending on where you live and the stealerships are even pricier. I do the majority of the work on our vehicles myself, hell of a lot cheaper.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Dealerships are always going to be more expensive. Just buy a damn Dodge for the kid to have some proper fun in the truck bed... Granted the mini might prevent you from becoming a grandparent any time soon....

You can find the same pricing differential in the UK or anywhere I imagine.
I always shop around. Don't they have a 'quickfit' equivalent stateside?
Yeah they do but the aren't exactly cheap either.

To clarify, are you suggesting NY is cheaper and NY salaries are higher?
NYC salaries are higher (especially with the significant drop in GBP) but NYC prices are higher mostly for ordinary everyday stuff. And taxies are definitely cheaper, even the ones you can just hail without using Uber or whetever.

London isn't the looking glass into the UK.
I took an oppo on a job in Manchester once, my stomping ground. He was a weak, noodle armed southerner and this Op we were on involved imbibing in a working mans club. When it was his turn to buy the round, the barman pulled two pints of Holts' bitter and said, "That'll be £2.99", no my oppo said, I wanted two pints. "You're not from around here, are you, quoth the barman", blowing our cover!!. And that was around 2000.

I took an oppo on a job in Manchester once, my stomping ground. He was a weak, noodle armed southerner and this Op we were on involved imbibing in a working mans club. When it was his turn to buy the round, the barman pulled two pints of Holts' bitter and said, "That'll be £2.99", no my oppo said, I wanted two pints. "You're not from around here, are you, quoth the barman", blowing our cover!!. And that was around 2000.
My local 'Spoons does pints for £1.99...not bad for London...

Well have you factored in the Mechanic labor rate? in NY it averages 35$ an hour. I change my brakes all the time

Oil changes also not that hard to do yourself

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Set of brake pads and discs for the front - £50.00 including delivery. Mechanically minded mate £50.00.

$776.40? I would've told him to shove it, the price-gouging git.

Compared to Canada, the US is cheaper on many things even when exchange is taken into account. You could be smuggling heroin, guns, or even Mexicans into Canada and all the border agents give a shïte about is if you have cigarettes, booze and how much you spent which has led to a national complex here it seems. I used to think it was a myth about how Canadians cross the border to buy clothing and shed what they wore over and cross back in their new threads until I saw it with my own eyes. I went to throw a drink container in a bin at a mall parking lot in Port Huron and noticed it was full of clothing and shoes......
Canadian gas/petrol/fuel is cheaper in the U.S. even if it comes from Canada..

I had that experience in CATTERICK a while back, being a 'mouthy southy' used to London robbery. I asked for Cod and chips. The price was what I was paying for just the chips in the Crapital city. Reet good they were tha noss!

A nice bunch but they talk a bit funny.

Last edited:
Set of brake pads and discs for the front - £50.00 including delivery. Mechanically minded mate £50.00.

$776.40? I would've told him to shove it, the price-gouging git.
Not 'gouging' really, its playing to the market. If there are people out there daft enough to pay, then so be it. As long as there is a competitive marketplace, there will be this sort of thing, which I am a big fan of.
I' just waiting for the robot mechanics who can fully service my car and then I won't have to pay £70 an hour labour rates.......oh wait, I will.

Latest Threads