Piss poor parking??

False bridges?
Is it worth the cost when driver fails still occur?

I assume they can’t dig under the bridge to increase height, put in a width restriction either side or close it to all motor traffic then?

FFS!
Through traffic less than 9 foot goes ok, no lights no wait at the railway crossing. Digging deeper not an option as this bridge is next to a river, and a marina. Tall vehicles have a gated crossing, so there is some queueing at the lights for trucks and buses! You can see the crossing to the right of the underpass!

If the false bridge takes the hit it means the actual bridge doesn't. If the vehicle hits the main bridge then its closed until declared safe by the structural engineer. All the while the rail schedules are in chaos as no trains can use the bridge.

It's the same principle as dangling chains before the entrance to a multi storey car park. If you hear a scraping sound on your roof the vehicle is too tall for the car park. You have minor scrapes on your paintwork, rather than caving your roof in on the low ceiling of the carpark.

It's the same principle as dangling chains before the entrance to a multi storey car park. .
I hate those bloody things I know exactly how tall my car is and I can read the sign so know there's sufficient height** - yet every time they scrape across my roof -
They are always set much lower attendent says as much if you pass comment

**Except the time I forgot the antenna was on the roof - spring loaded so it folds back - unfortunately it does flick upright rapidly and can upset the light fittings

I hate those bloody things I know exactly how tall my car is and I can read the sign so know there's sufficient height** - yet every time they scrape across my roof -
They are always set much lower attendent says as much if you pass comment

**Except the time I forgot the antenna was on the roof - spring loaded so it folds back - unfortunately it does flick upright rapidly and can upset the light fittings
Deflate your tyres?

If the false bridge takes the hit it means the actual bridge doesn't. If the vehicle hits the main bridge then its closed until declared safe by the structural engineer. All the while the rail schedules are in chaos as no trains can use the bridge.

It's the same principle as dangling chains before the entrance to a multi storey car park. If you hear a scraping sound on your roof the vehicle is too tall for the car park. You have minor scrapes on your paintwork, rather than caving your roof in on the low ceiling of the carpark.
Something a bit like this?

Good advice.jpg

Somewhere on a road near Brecon(possibly) there is a vehicle height detection system.Beam sender and detector set on poles, break the beam and warning sign flashes, tells you that you are an idiot and must turn around.

If that is the rail bridge in Ely, this happens frequently, there is a "by pass" lane which gives much greater height for these vehicles, but some people think they are driving cars when they are driving a high sided vehicle!
False bridges?

I assume they can’t dig under the bridge to increase height, put in a width restriction either side or close it to all motor traffic then?

FFS!
I'd have thought it would be easy enough to put up a laser emitter /receiver set-up across the carriageway ahead of the bridge & at the appropriate height, so that anything breaking the beam lit up a BFO flashing sign telling the eejits they're going to hit if they don't stop.

I'd have thought it would be easy enough to put up a laser emitter /receiver set-up across the carriageway ahead of the bridge & at the appropriate height, so that anything breaking the beam lit up a BFO flashing sign telling the eejits they're going to hit if they don't stop.
The trouble is that you make something idiot proof and along comes a bigger idiot

False bridges?

FFS!
They did that for a bridge in Glasgow, I was present when some poor bugger almost drowned in the pond that formed under it during a sleet storm.

Why not utilise an optical system connected to an organically-driven computer transplanted into the driver's head? Call it, for example, eyes and brain.

We had a bridge that kept getting hit, regardless of a massive amount of signage miles back, laser-detectors, flashing signs, the lot. Most notably, it was hit twice by lorries from the same HGV training company. The fecking thing was finally replaced last month by a slightly higher bridge, but not before a last-minute flurry of HGV drivers, seemingly desperate to hit it before it was too late. It was even hit as the engineers were starting to jack it up off the stanchions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
samain11 The NAAFI Bar 78
Medic_Cop22 The NAAFI Bar 35
westendboy The NAAFI Bar 132