Piss poor parking??

When your a drunk mother with your kid in the back and your determined to get to the Mother and child spots first

A drink-driver who smashed into a concrete roundabout island and launched her car 14ft into the air while her child was in the back has been jailed.
Tania Chikwature, 32, was more than three times the drink-drive limit when she lost control of her Nissan Qashqai as she drove to a wake, Peterborough magistrates court heard on Monday.
The defendant drank vodka the night before and a vodka bottle was found in the car, said Corinne Soanders-Silk, prosecuting.
A lorry driver who witnessed the crash said he did not think those in the car would survive and that the car cleared the roundabout and hit a tree before landing on its roof.
Chikwature’s 20-month-old son was unhurt in the crash, which was captured on dashcam footage as she illegally overtook a lorry on the approach to a roundabout on the A606 in Peterborough. The defendant sustained unspecified injuries.
I wouldn't really class that as parking though.

Don't forget to walk round the badly parked Sussex safer roads van

Don't forget to walk round the badly parked Sussex safer roads van

Obstruction of the highway there.
Bang a complaint in with that photo and any tickets issued by that van in that location have to be rescinded.

Twat around here blocked access to my place by parking on double yellow lines. Photos Taken, complaint put in .

Obstruction of the highway there.
Bang a complaint in with that photo and any tickets issued by that van in that location have to be rescinded.

Twat around here blocked access to my place by parking on double yellow lines. Photos Taken, complaint put in .
No obstruction of the highway there I think you'll find. The highway/road runs from property boundary to property boundary, or in this case fence and there's ample room for vehicles to pass and pedestrians are free to use the other side. Under the Road Traffic Act an obstruction needs to be more than trivial I think its quoted as.

DYL fair enough a decriminalised offence for your local 'traffic wardens'.

And before the righteous indignation brigade start about rule X in the Highway Code, the clues in the title. Its a code not the law, as I often have to point out to the tedious know it all twat who informs me that my marked police vehicle is illegally parked in a marked police bay, because it has DYL running through it and that's what the Highway code says.

Thats hardly going to stop Fire service vehicles deploying, is it?
I'm not condoning shit parking but it's not a showstopper. The fact that they keep mentioning the merc angle speaks volumes.
Also Cricklade is a retained station, there's no full time firefighters there. Unless it just happened to coincide with a shout, or the Station Manager just happened to be there, then it's unlikely that any FF would have been there at 08:45 in the morning

The cross hatching isn't enforceable anyway. Cross hatching marking like that is only meant to be used in areas between traffic signals at box junctions. Unless there are traffic signals then it's just a meaningless splash of paint.

If the area in front of the fire station is wanted to be kept clear there should be a yellow zigzag marking with the words 'KEEP CLEAR' rather than than the box marking. And they couldn't be prosecuted by the police for obstruction as a supertanker could get past in that gap.

The area in front of the station is private land so the only thing the driver could potentially be done for is trespass.
It was there in 2009. It appears that cross-hatch replaced it

Capture.JPG

It was there in 2009. It appears that cross-hatch replaced it

View attachment 327024
Your photo shows the double yellows.... they weren't apparent in the first photo on this story (virtually transparent) and therefore my comment about zizags was bollocks. As for the KEEP CLEAR in your photo, that's off public highway anyway...

Your photo shows the double yellows.... they weren't apparent in the first photo on this story (virtually transparent) and therefore my comment about zizags was bollocks. As for the KEEP CLEAR in your photo, that's off public highway anyway...
I know. The whole road and the off road markings are a bit of a dogs dinner.
There should have been a hatched box on the forecourt, and red lines on the road if they really wanted no one to park/wait there

The highway code states that:
1. Waiting and parking (238)

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – download ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.
Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

I've had a look all along that road and cannot see any controlled zone signs or time plates. The above says she can't wait 'even if there are no upright signs' but it doesn't say she can't park.

NB. The google images are form 2009, so there may be correct signage now?

Waiting and parking (238 to 252)

Second hand car for sale, one careful lady o
1521452356500.png
wner......

The cross hatching isn't enforceable anyway. Cross hatching marking like that is only meant to be used in areas between traffic signals at box junctions. Unless there are traffic signals then it's just a meaningless splash of paint.
You might like to peruse these documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ent_data/file/523916/DfT-circular-01-2016.pdf

Specifically paras 12.7 to 12.9.

For the full picture on box junction markings, the small tome, (link below), is also worth a read. Although if you do so without a wet flannel to apply to your forehead and a slack handful of aspirins for the inevitable headache, you do so at your own peril.

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016

To save you reading either, take it from a poor sap who does this shit for a living and trust me when I tell you you're talking out of you arse. A few years ago you wouldn't have been - but now you are.

Last edited:
Big difference between 'enforcable' and 'common fucking sense', isn't there?
I doubt whether a fire truck gives a toss when it off to a fire, They'll just plough that Merc to one side, and sort the mess out later.

You might like to peruse these documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ent_data/file/523916/DfT-circular-01-2016.pdf

Specifically paras 12.7 to 12.9.

For the full picture on box junction markings, the small tome, (link below), is also worth a read. Although if you do so without a wet flannel to apply to your forehead and a slack handful of aspirins for the inevitable headache, you do so at your own peril.

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016

To save you reading either, take it from a poor sap who does this shit for a living and trust me when I tell you you're talking out of you arse. A few years ago you wouldn't have been - but now you are.
@Civvy Scum ....Every day a school day.... I'm a fellow poor sap that also does this for a living in the local Traffic & Road Safety team in the council and hadn't twigged that specific change to TSRGD, which is, as you say, a 545 page piece of legislation that would be easier understood if it had been translated into Mandarin and sent out to all LAs. The 2016 rewrite was meant to remove guff and confusion as part of The Red Tape Challenge and make the 447 page 2002 document a slimmer and easier read. They failed.... Sooner they come up with the revised Traffic Signs Manuals the better

That aside, I suspect the Fire Station forecourt is off public highway so it wouldn't have mattered if they'd marked it with pink polka dots or yellow box marking.

Last edited:
@Civvy ScumSooner they come up with the revised Traffic Signs Manuals the better
They'll be out "soon" I'm told.

Although that's DfT-soon, so what it might mean in plan English, well, if you're in the game, I don't need to say more, do I?

I've seen the drafts, don't get too excited.