Piss poor parking??

Probably PYE PF1's or Burndept BE470's

View attachment 612094
Certainly those on the Left. They were habitually in for repair. I recall that as one walked into the nick behind the front desk were two racks, one for charging and one for repair, which one wag had inscribed with the defective constables comment. They were a pain not least cos we didn't have a lot of the clobber designed specifically to carry radios, so they had to be put in the pocket of the Jacket and the aerials used to become snagged in the lining. Unlimbering one at the rapid was just a hope. Whilst we still had whistles, they weren't used anymore.
My first RTA in Northfleet was an education- tried to get a PNC check done. Finally a Panda rolled up and took the details for relay one of our super duper Hillman Imps. That had it's engine nicked one night outside the BoB in Northfleet whilst someone was in the pub dealing with a break in the previous night.

Are you trying to get us all killed. :eek:
It's "say again" not the "R" word.
1635332051549.jpeg

I’ve seen Toyota Corolla’s in Afghanistan go where Land Rover Defenders fear to tread.

If you absolutely, definitely, positively need to go where the terrain is impossible to pass. Take either a fully laden jungle truck or a 15 year old Toyota Hilux. Possibly with a rolled up copy of the daily Star and a packet of Bari o for it it’s really tough
Or a Fiat 500. I lost count of the number of times I saw a local flying past me whilst going up the mountain tracks in Bosnia.

Certainly those on the Left. They were habitually in for repair. I recall that as one walked into the nick behind the front desk were two racks, one for charging and one for repair, which one wag had inscribed with the defective constables comment.....
The radio on the right, Burndept BE470 were a progression from the radio's on the left, they used the same yellw PP3 sized batteries and chargers. The commercial sales of the Burndept was hugely help by product placement in the 1980 BBC TV program Juliet Bravo , the radio's were crap and broke easily as they had a plastic case with no internal frame, but everyone wanted one ! I always had a pile of them on my bench for repair or BER disposal, even had one that the then Windsor Safari Park management told me it had passed through the digestive system of an elephant and was in a bag as delivered by Jumbo :(
Burndept came out with a later replacement the Black Diamond which was encased in a die cast box, it was a good radio using the same yellow PP3 batteries but because nobody on TV used it, sale were poor and Burndept sold out soon after..

Pye099.jpg

Remember these? Defective radios for defective constables.
Back in the 1970's a surplus electronics shop, Watford Electronics, sold surplus PF1 receivers for £1 each. They had been pulled straight out of Home Office service without the frequency crystals being removed, so if you knew the transmit frequency of you local Police area you could look up with the aid of a chart the area channel number, mine was Channel 27 on 451.825MHz. All I had to do was hunt through the boxes of PF1 receivers for one marked CH 27, fit a 9v PP3 battery and I had a Local Police talking broach monitor :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
p -o- l- i- s- h As in Poland you doenut. Its a reference to the polish airmen in the film"Battle of Britain" do keep up! o_O
Polish, you twat, with an upper case P, denotes the nationality rather than the domestic cleaning product!

Issi

LE
When I was a teenager in the 70s' my mate's dad had a Series 2a with a length of railway track welded up as a front bumper.
There was a local drunk in St Croix who fixed a large log/tree trunk across the front of his pickup.
Very Mad Max.

Latest Threads