Piss poor parking??

There's 2 families where I live who drive their children 300m to school

Actually I have done that. Asda Bexleyheath. Imagine I need something rather urgently, quick five minute job, get thereand some Pratt has parked across two bays leaving nowhere to park. To make the point it was a people carrier, that wasn’t so muck parked , rather dumped. In sheer frustration I parked my classic across the bows. I was quick, but it seems not quite quick enough, mum with two kids. It went something like this.
oi you moved yer car.
Thanks I will,
You’ve blocked me in
Your fault if you can’t park, tara .
You utter bastard, I’ll be late for football practice for my lad
You will if ya keep yatterin’
And subsequently drive off.

Not too sure about the Chelsea Tractors, but a lot of families were caught out when the rules around baby chairs changed. The need for a larger car to cater for kids 1, 2 and 3 in car seats instead of 1 car seat and two booster seats. Couple that with the American influence of SUV's at about the same time, add in people getting larger...

My two pence worth.

Coupled with lots of 'Yebbutt Dale go' it fo' me cuz he had a good year wiv da scoffoldin' an' stuff*'.

Read it with a crass S Essex accent.

Not too sure about the Chelsea Tractors, but a lot of families were caught out when the rules around baby chairs changed. The need for a larger car to cater for kids 1, 2 and 3 in car seats instead of 1 car seat and two booster seats. Couple that with the American influence of SUV's at about the same time, add in people getting larger...

My two pence worth.
It's a struggle to fit 2 X new style car seats for the Grand Kids in the back of a NEWISH Mazda 2. Yet when I had in 1983 a Nissan Micra in BAOR. I could fit in 1 x car seat and 2 booster seats with no problems. Outsides dimensions of cars are getting bigger, inside dimensions are getting smaller. It's a reverse TARDIS. I am going to start packing the Grand Kids into the door pockets.

Annoys me as well, damn child seats, makes it really awkward, as you can't get another passenger in the back, with 2 seats.

There must be a way of slimming the width of the sodding things

Annoys me as well, damn child seats, makes it really awkward, as you can't get another passenger in the back, with 2 seats.

There must be a way of slimming the width of the sodding things

Kids in the boot, cocktail cabinet on one of the back seats. Should leave room for another adult.

Is it just me, or am I noticing the growing number of large vehicles just being used for driving around town and going shopping. Live in the country and down a dirt track, yeah, fine. But FFS, but how many actually need a mahoosive car/truck to poodle around in? Parking spaces are still 2.4 x 4.8m and have been for donkeys years. Car bodies have been growing in size since forever, a mini is no longer a mini, but FFS I bet many who drive range rovers and similar sized cars around town don’t need a car that size.
It’s what people want. Piece in the news a few years ago covering an increase in insurance payouts for knackered wing mirrors due to the increasing width in cars.

The wife has a 7 seater SUV. (5 really) that’s the main family car for transporting the kids. I’ve got a Mondeo. (The old family car after somebody went into the back of my Micra which was her old car after somebody wrote off my Laguna.)

She went big for the kids and their stuff.
Most people are doing that.

I’ve promised myself to get a smart car or something similar next as I’m very aware that I spend 95% of my time driving by myself and parking is getting ever more problematic. Only today I saw somebody drive down our road and take off two wing mirrors on parked cars and then drive off.

It’s what people want. Piece in the news a few years ago covering an increase in insurance payouts for knackered wing mirrors due to the increasing width in cars.

The wife has a 7 seater SUV. (5 really) that’s the main family car for transporting the kids. I’ve got a Mondeo. (The old family car after somebody went into the back of my Micra which was her old car after somebody wrote off my Laguna.)

She went big for the kids and their stuff.
Most people are doing that.

I’ve promised myself to get a smart car or something similar next as I’m very aware that I spend 95% of my time driving by myself and parking is getting ever more problematic. Only today I saw somebody drive down our road and take off two wing mirrors on parked cars and then drive off.

Yeah I get that. If you need a large car for lugging kids and stuff around then you need it.

I was thinking more of the big 4x4s and the like just for the sake of having 4x4s, though I haven't pulled out any stats which will show how many are bought just for the 'I want one' reason.

A few years ago, just after having parked up in a our local shopping centre car park, a mahoosive 4x4 turns up with one of them spare wheel thingies on the back door. Reversing, just about, into a car park space the spare wheel grinds over the bonnet of the parked parked behind, denting it in the process. The driver was a lady not in the first flush of youth so kids likely long left. She may have needed it to traverse some boggy, rough, unforgiving terrain but the truck didn't look it was used that way, and unlikely she needed a truck like that for shopping.

Has been going on for years.
And the rise of the SUV doesn't help.
Many are on the school run 'Oh, so much safer for the kids' - yeah, right. Not so safe for ME, in my hatchback or saloon, when you lose control and drive into me, you dumb sh*t.

I think they may have solved this, but aren't 4x4s likely to overturn more?

And yes, when of them smacks the smaller car, i can imagine who'll be worse off.

I think they may have solved this, but aren't 4x4s likely to overturn more?

And yes, when of them smacks the smaller car, i can imagine who'll be worse off.
especially when the macho cnuts put sh*t like this on their 4x4s...
TOYOTA-HILUX-LEGEND-2021-REPLACEMENT-STEEL-BZT-BUMPER2-300x157.png

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Actually I have done that. Asda Bexleyheath. Imagine I need something rather urgently, quick five minute job, get thereand some Pratt has parked across two bays leaving nowhere to park. To make the point it was a people carrier, that wasn’t so muck parked , rather dumped. In sheer frustration I parked my classic across the bows. I was quick, but it seems not quite quick enough, mum with two kids. It went something like this.
oi you moved yer car.
Thanks I will,
You’ve blocked me in
Your fault if you can’t park, tara .
You utter bastard, I’ll be late for football practice for my lad
You will if ya keep yatterin’
And subsequently drive off.
thats Bexleyheath for you! Try Morrisons in Sidcup, entirely better class of bad parking!