Pirbright and the Guards :

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We had a Barrack Room Instructor - from my Battalion - and the crows were always immaculate under him. When we went from long sleeves to short sleeves I noticed that the crows would appear to have burn marks on their arms. Further enquiries revealed that he had been, quite literally, ironing the crows. He used to take them out for an early morning run in full No2 Dress and respirators up the Sand Hill.

He was awarded 2 years in Colchester MCTC and was then booted out.e
There were some right cowardly bastards, nice to know some got caught and punished.
Our fecker and his mate introduced us to suddenly sleeping on your head at silly o’clock at night when they were pissed just suddenly pulling the bed out and standing it up when you are flat out, and water boarding, they thought that was very funny.

Last edited:
I'm ex Cav, when a full screw I did my recruit/weapons instructor course at the Sch of Inf in Warminster mid 70's. The final exams/pass off entailed a couple of days at Pirbright,,,,,,,,,,,,a shock to the system is an understatement.

We had a Barrack Room Instructor - from my Battalion - and the crows were always immaculate under him. When we went from long sleeves to short sleeves I noticed that the crows would appear to have burn marks on their arms. Further enquiries revealed that he had been, quite literally, ironing the crows. He used to take them out for an early morning run in full No2 Dress and respirators up the Sand Hill.

He was awarded 2 years in Colchester MCTC and was then booted out.

Morning @ACAB,
Recruit training Guards Depot '70s.
Instead of old skool candle and spoon to get the dimples out of our best boots. Three L/Sgts decided it would be easier and quicker to burn the dimples out with a blow torch...while wearing said boots! Fckn agony.
Result: whole platoon off sick for varying lengths. I had two/3 days, massive blisters. Two medically discharged IIRC. One lads parents turned up a couple of days later and he was gone that day.
One poor lad who couldn't(?) hack it, ran to the bogs and locked himself in a cubicle. The L/Sgts went after him, climbed over the dividing wall, dragged him back and held him down while they finished the job.
Not saying there was a cover-up(I'm sure the 3 would have had an interview sans coffee), but nothing more was said to us and the 3 L/Sgt continued to train us until pass out.
I didn't contribute to the 'thank you' gift present for them but will always remember the cvnts names. 1x gobbler, 1x lilywhite, 1x jock.
Convinced it did damage which contributed to problems later on.
Oh! Did I say... the CVNTS!

E2a: THE CVNTS!

E2a: just remembered, not a gobbler but a donkey wallaper...THE CVNTS!

Last edited:

A bit of character building, marvelous stuff.

TheGrinch

Clanker
My BRI was a horrible little Ulsterman from the IG. Regularly assaulted any of the Irish lads from the South, of which we had a few. A few of us made the mistake of joining the RC form up on compulsory church parade, therefore identifying ourselves to him as Fenians (the IG didn’t do Banner in those days so the irony was that he had no GSM whereas I and the other Grens in my platoon flew out to Aldergrove 2 days after passing out).
He was a truly horrible little drunken bully.
regularly shagged a NAAFI pig in his bunk and on one occasion when she bled all over his sheets had us all stood to attention with her watching whilst he rubbed the sheets in various lads faces.
I could happily fill him in if I ever met him again.

He was awarded 2 years in Colchester MCTC and was then booted out.

Putting private soldiers in charge of recruits...
What could possibly go wrong?

On the plus side, 2 years in MCTC probably reduced his enthusiasm for ironing.