Pirbright 2020 sticky - all Pirbright chat in here

I'm good with my run time but I'm struggling with press up, anything you recommend to improve them?
Work on the negative so take yourself down to the floor as slow and controlled as you can - also do other exercises that help strengthen the same muscles such as dumbbell floor press, seated row etc

Email

Clanker
I'm good with my run time but I'm struggling with press up, anything you recommend to improve them?
The only way to improve them is by doing them. Try doing as many as you can when you wake up and before you go to bed and you will start to improve.

honestly all I do is just do them as soon as I get up and do one more than I did the day before, sometimes a 2/3 arm minute warm up
Makes a massive difference to how many you can do

The_Duke

LE
The only way to improve them is by doing them. Try doing as many as you can when you wake up and before you go to bed and you will start to improve.
Set yourself linked activities - 10 every advert break when watching TV. You will have done 40 or 50 during a 1 hour programme. 10 every time you go to make a cup of tea etc.

You don’t have to be in gym kit for 10 pressups, and you shouldn’t be screaming “down and give me 20” at yourself when at work, school or the supermarket but you will improve quickly when you are doing 100+ press-ups every day in sets of 10.

Cfc1603

Clanker
Set yourself linked activities - 10 every advert break when watching TV. You will have done 40 or 50 during a 1 hour programme. 10 every time you go to make a cup of tea etc.

You don’t have to be in gym kit for 10 pressups, and you shouldn’t be screaming “down and give me 20” at yourself when at work, school or the supermarket but you will improve quickly when you are doing 100+ press-ups every day in sets of 10.
Cheers, I'll give that a try

Anyone wondering about kit, you get given some general items when you get there I.e. bungees, tent peg and all that kinda stuff, you used to be able to buy them from Pirbright as a bundle but every recruit gets these for free when you get to basic & you no longer have to pay for a tracksuit this is given to you when you get there. Some emails and letters are outdated that’s why it still mentions there’s things, Hope this helps

Just going through the kit list and my question is....is it important to bring a ironing board or will there be some already there Which I can just use?
Many thanks,

My son passed his resit of the TST today and want to join the RE as a carpenter/joiner. Can I get an idea of how long the wait is for a start date?

Yhtony

Swinger
My son passed his resit of the TST today and want to join the RE as a carpenter/joiner. Can I get an idea of how long the wait is for a start date?
I passed mine in May but got deferred, once i got the all clear in January i got a start date for March. So could be a few months or the next few weeks as there is an intake 31st March

Kaytemonn

Clanker
What is the difference if you don’t buy the tracksuit? Will you ever wear it outside of your accommodation?
Start on Sunday and just unsure on how money I will need to take with me as it says £50 or so for the tracksuit and then other money for general items, will things like bungees and tent pegs be provided anyway?
I said the tracksuit is free so you dont have to buy it. You wear the tracksuit if you're not wearing MTP. You only wear civvies outside of camp unless you go a&e or on trips.
Whatever is listed on your joining instructions as being in the starter pack..that's what will be in it

Kaytemonn

Clanker
I'll repeat again...the tracksuit and starter pack are provided for FREE when you arrive so you DON'T have to pay for it.
I advise taking extra twisters, bungees and tent pegs.
I strongly advise taking an ironing board as it'a not guaranteed there will be spares and you dont want to be that annoying ****** that asks to use other peoples.
Don't worry about the wattage of your iron as I've had no problems yet.
Take permanent markers and sniper tape to label EVERYTHING that you own. Things WILL get stolen

I passed mine in May but got deferred, once i got the all clear in January i got a start date for March. So could be a few months or the next few weeks as there is an intake 31st March
[/QU
Thanks. He originally had his assessment centre in November but got deferred and just needed to resit the test as he hasn’t quite scored enough first time around. So hopefully now that he has passed the TST he won’t have to wait too long to start his basic training. He’s already keen to get down the gym to get his fitness back up again. Thank you.

Yhtony

Swinger
Does anybody know if its possible to ask for a later intake date after you've already been given a date or will they just f**k you off ?

Latest Threads