Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pirbright 2020 sticky - all Pirbright chat in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sflynn1970

Clanker
Thank you- I have told him the first couple of weeks would be the hardest due to the routines etc - hes doesn't feel like hes clever enough for the tests etc, hes the youngest in his barracks and hes scared he does anything wrong.....
My son is now about to finish Week 7 of his training. The first week he really wasn't sure if he wanted to be there as the shock to the system was massive And him and another lad are the youngest in the section. But as the weeks have passed he has got better and settled in well. . My son really isn't great at exams and he takes a bit longer to learn things.

He still feels there is a lot to learn but is just taking every day as it comes. He has passed every test put in front of him except the map reading test but quite a few in the section didn't pass that either first time. And in his intake they are piloting a new curriculum and they have a lot of self learning I believe and seem to be doing a some assessments early. For eg they did the drill test in Week3 when normally its about Week 6 and he did struggle to remember the names of the staff for that but he still passed.

So I guess just tell him not to worry and just take each day as it comes and everyone has their own pace of learning and I am sure that he will be ok. They all get rollicked at some point or another for getting something wrong. it all about learning from any mistakes they make and building their resilience.

I'm not but I'm curious, how far off were you from passing fitness standards to get on the SDC?
hi! I got just over 5 on the beep test but needed just over 7, I think you have to be within 90 seconds of your run time to be able to go to SDC but I’m not 100% sure

Crow22

Clanker
Can anyone tell me if phase 1 for early next year (Feb) has gone back to 14 weeks, or is it still 12 weeks due to no AT/ realities of war?

newbie1810

Clanker
Can anyone tell me if phase 1 for early next year (Feb) has gone back to 14 weeks, or is it still 12 weeks due to no AT/ realities of war?

You’ll find out on arrival which CMS your on don’t worry about that people think the shorter one is better it’s not you still have to learn all the same syllabus in a shorter time. Get as much running in as u can. Hill sprints. And distance

newbie1810

Clanker
On a separate not anyone at pirbright atm know the Xmas leave period some saying 2 weeks from December 18th others saying 3 weeks from December 11th

Sflynn1970

Clanker
You’ll find out on arrival which CMS your on don’t worry about that people think the shorter one is better it’s not you still have to learn all the same syllabus in a shorter time. Get as much running in as u can. Hill sprints. And distance
I think each intake is very different at the moment and you won't really know until you arrive. My son is currently in Week 8 (Started on Oct 4) and is in the first group to pilot a 'new' syllabus. Which is still a 14 week programme. No AT or ROW. The week behind him is on the normal syllabus apparently but will actually pass out a week before them.

Crow22

Clanker
I think each intake is very different at the moment and you won't really know until you arrive. My son is currently in Week 8 (Started on Oct 4) and is in the first group to pilot a 'new' syllabus. Which is still a 14 week programme. No AT or ROW. The week behind him is on the normal syllabus apparently but will actually pass out a week before them.
Brilliant, thanks for that. Have my provisional start date and was just trying to work out when it'll finish. I suppose I will just have to be patient and wait for my official communication. Will you get to go to your son's pass out parade, or are you waiting for confirmation? I'm guessing families day at week 7/8 didn't happen due to lockdown/coronavirus regulations.

Brilliant, thanks for that. Have my provisional start date and was just trying to work out when it'll finish. I suppose I will just have to be patient and wait for my official communication. Will you get to go to your son's pass out parade, or are you waiting for confirmation? I'm guessing families day at week 7/8 didn't happen due to lockdown/coronavirus regulations.
There is currently no family day or attending the passing out parade - that will be streamed live, as will the cap badge ceremony. Fortunately my son has Christmas in the middle of his Phase 1 so he's home for 2 weeks!

Crow22

Clanker
There is currently no family day or attending the passing out parade - that will be streamed live, as will the cap badge ceremony. Fortunately my son has Christmas in the middle of his Phase 1 so he's home for 2 weeks!
Not having a families day isn't the worst thing, but not having an in person pass out parade is upsetting. Still, the times we live in I suppose!

Sflynn1970

Clanker
At this stage we won’t get to see his parade which is gutting But hopefully with all talk about vaccines and rapid testing hopefully those who are starting around low and don’t finish until March / April will have better luck. We are absolutely gutted as its such a massive achievement. We didn’t get to do family day either and he didn’t get his long weekend home. The first time we will will see him will be at the end of Week 11. We will also only get to see a recording of beret parade and even that got postponed due to covid we think and that won’t happen until week 10.

Sflynn1970

Clanker
Cap badge isn’t streamed just a recorded video for us.
On a separate not anyone at pirbright atm know the Xmas leave period some saying 2 weeks from December 18th others saying 3 weeks from December 11th
Yes we feel the same. So gutted about the passing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads