Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pirbright 2020 sticky - all Pirbright chat in here

Stokesj1

Swinger
Does anyone know if they will except a print out of GCSE’s my old school has sent me or do I need the hard certificates? Reason I ask I because I’ve lost all mine (16 year ago I took mine) and the awarding bodies are wanting £45 each for the replacements.
I never had to had over mine they just sat in my bag for the whole corse and they already had them on the system from selection. I'd say bring the copied version and then if they ask pay up but I would go spending money for just a maybe thing

Sent from my CPH1911 using Tapatalk

Stokesj1

Swinger
Tips for anyone going into training:

1) All sweets/ crisps/ sugary stuff get taken off you. Even if you get them posted in from friends and family, you have to open all post in front of your corporals.
2) You rarely get the chance to go to shop so buy it all before you go and even if your training team say you can it’s only one person per section once a week.
3) The wattage of the iron doesn’t matter.
4) Don't bother with £100 cash as you won’t be able to spend it.
5) AT still not back on and not allowed home at week 7.
6) Recommend a hanging wardrobe for civi locker.
7) First two weeks are slow due to covid, you wear blue arm band for first two weeks which you don’t have any medicals or fitness tests until week 3. Which you then get upgraded to the green arm band. Take some rubber bands to keep it secure on your arm as they fall off especially when on drill.

Do NOT get dark tan polish. It makes the boots go purple.
I disagree with some of the points as they would depend on your training team.

1) you are allowed sweets to be sent in and you are allowed to eat them we even got encouraged to take them with us on exercise but this is a training team dependant issue

2) I have not heard about only one person being allowed down to the shop at a time unless it was a punishment and then they where only allowed to buy essential items so I think that must be a one off with your training team. When you pass your drill test in week 6 you should be able to walk around camp to the shops when you like but if you have a really nice training team they might let you do this befor I know that does happen!!!!

4) I spent all my money within the first month and a half so it was definitely needed I heard the same for the other troops that I asked everyone ended up taking more money out ( you must be a good little saver)

Dark tan all the way it doesn't turn your boots purple :L I can't imagine the army letting people walk around camp with purple shoes it's what I use on my shoes and it's definitely brown

S7015642F

Clanker
I disagree with some of the points as they would depend on your training team.

1) you are allowed sweets to be sent in and you are allowed to eat them we even got encouraged to take them with us on exercise but this is a training team dependant issue

2) I have not heard about only one person being allowed down to the shop at a time unless it was a punishment and then they where only allowed to buy essential items so I think that must be a one off with your training team. When you pass your drill test in week 6 you should be able to walk around camp to the shops when you like but if you have a really nice training team they might let you do this befor I know that does happen!!!!

4) I spent all my money within the first month and a half so it was definitely needed I heard the same for the other troops that I asked everyone ended up taking more money out ( you must be a good little saver)

Dark tan all the way it doesn't turn your boots purple :L I can't imagine the army letting people walk around camp with purple shoes it's what I use on my shoes and it's definitely brown

It definitely is up to your training team, currently going into week three tomorrow and we aren’t allowed any sweets or crisps. And our training team has taken them off our troop when they get sent in and locked in a box for when we pass out. There has been couple rumours that we might be allowed them at some point but not depending on it.

We rarely go to the shop as a troop and only been twice since being here within two weeks. Only had one person from each section go. Hence why none of us have spent our £100 yet. And is faff on sorting out money when that one person goes and just used their card to pay for everything.

Polish is also dependant on training teams but ours don’t recommend and like said before couple people have walked round with purple boots but nothings been said. It’s just couple tips I’ve been told just incase anyone comes and they have similar training team.

Burt13

Swinger
I never had to had over mine they just sat in my bag for the whole corse and they already had them on the system from selection. I'd say bring the copied version and then if they ask pay up but I would go spending money for just a maybe thing

Yeah that’s exactly what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tookz

Clanker
I am joining as tank crewman but I'm having 2nd thoughts about that role, I know when you get to phase 2 you can choose a different role within the RAC does that include HCR? Or just other light, armoured or heavy regiments?

On the Pirbright fb group it stated the latest recruits are "embarking on the first pilot of the new Common Military Syllabus (CMS 21)" does anyone know what this means/is?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

levisdj123

Swinger
On the Pirbright fb group it stated the latest recruits are "embarking on the first pilot of the new Common Military Syllabus (CMS 21)" does anyone know what this means/is?

It means they've changed the training course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sflynn1970

Clanker

All we were told when we dropped our son off is there will be 2 free weekends instead of 1. But obviously with covid they can’t actually do them off base yet.

Stokesj1

Swinger
I am joining as tank crewman but I'm having 2nd thoughts about that role, I know when you get to phase 2 you can choose a different role within the RAC does that include HCR? Or just other light, armoured or heavy regiments?
Ask you troop commander or section commander and if they can't help you when you get to your phase 2 ask your cpl there when I arrived we where in a group and all got asked if we where happy with our choices and if we had any second thoughts

Kieran_RMP

Swinger
Right I have gotten my new kit list as I was using the old one as a reference until I got a more upto date one. If any would could help would be much appreciated.

1. The list says nothing about bringing nboot brushes so should I not bring any?

2. Says I get a free pack that includes torch, flask, tent pegs, wash bag and a sewing kit. Does this mean I don't need bungies as well?

Just wondering as I have bought all the stuff I need from the old list dated 2 years ago and this new kit list says no mention of bungies, brushes or stuff like that

Right I have gotten my new kit list as I was using the old one as a reference until I got a more upto date one. If any would could help would be much appreciated.

1. The list says nothing about bringing nboot brushes so should I not bring any?

2. Says I get a free pack that includes torch, flask, tent pegs, wash bag and a sewing kit. Does this mean I don't need bungies as well?

Just wondering as I have bought all the stuff I need from the old list dated 2 years ago and this new kit list says no mention of bungies, brushes or stuff like that
They do give you quite a lot now, if they havent told you to bring it, dont. And if you need it, they always do a shop run in the first few days so people can get anything they might need. Our section commander even got it himself for us. (obviously you might not have the same, he was a really good sec commander tbf)

About brushes, id deffo bring some good brushes. Makes the difference from having shite dusty boots to having mirrored, gleaming, ally as **** altbergs that all the blue armbands gush over.

Also, if you've got it anyway. Just take it. better to have and not need than need and not have, Good luck!

I'll be there with you

1) Mine also doesn't mention them but I'm bringing some brushes anyway, as keeping a spare pair even if we get issued some, just seems sensible

2) Bungies are included in the free pack (to my knowledge) but again have some spare is never a bad thing in case you somehow lose/damage some

I'm bring some other stuff that is no longer on the list; Selvyt cloth, Knife, Extra boot polish (black as the sheet only says brown now) and some other miscellaneous things - If you don't need it, it can be kept in your suitcase but you'll have some spares/extras for that just in case scenario instead of having to pay more to buy them from naafi potentially at a higher price

Kieran_RMP

Swinger
They do give you quite a lot now, if they havent told you to bring it, dont. And if you need it, they always do a shop run in the first few days so people can get anything they might need. Our section commander even got it himself for us. (obviously you might not have the same, he was a really good sec commander tbf)

About brushes, id deffo bring some good brushes. Makes the difference from having shite dusty boots to having mirrored, gleaming, ally as **** altbergs that all the blue armbands gush over.

Also, if you've got it anyway. Just take it. better to have and not need than need and not have, Good luck!
Oki thanks. Much appreciated.

Will probably bring some as spare and keep them locked away incase I need them.

Latest Threads