Pirates Can Claim UK Asylum

From The Sunday Times, April 13, 2008

Pirates can claim UK asylum

Marie Woolf, Whitehall Editor

THE Royal Navy, once the scourge of brigands on the high seas, has been told by the Foreign Office not to detain pirates because doing so may breach their human rights.

Warships patrolling pirate-infested waters, such as those off Somalia, have been warned that there is also a risk that captured pirates could claim asylum in Britain.

The Foreign Office has advised that pirates sent back to Somalia could have their human rights breached because, under Islamic law, they face beheading for murder or having a hand chopped off for theft.

In 2005 there were almost 40 attacks by pirates and 16 vessels were hijacked and held for ransom. Employing high-tech weaponry, they kill, steal and hold ships’ crews to ransom. This year alone pirates killed three people near the Philippines.

Last week French commandos seized a Somali pirate gang that had held a luxury yacht with 22 French citizens on board. The hijackers were paid off by the boat’s owner and then a French helicopter carrier dispatched 50 commandos to seize the hijackers and the ransom money on dry land.

Britain is part of a coalition force that patrols piracy stricken areas and the guidance has troubled navy officers who believe they should have more freedom to intervene.

The guidance was sharply criticised by Julian Brazier MP, the Conservative shipping spokesman, who said: “These people commit horrendous offences. The solution is not to turn a blind eye but to turn them over to the local authorities. The convention on human rights quite rightly doesn’t cover the high seas. It’s a pathetic indictment of what our legal system has come to.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “There are issues about human rights and what might happen in these circumstances. The main thing is to ensure any incident is resolved peacefully.”

The guidance is the latest blow to the robust image of the navy. Last year 15 of its sailors were taken prisoner by the Iranians and publicly humiliated.

In the 19th century, British warships largely eradicated piracy when they policed the oceans. The death penalty for piracy on the high seas remained on the statute books until 1998. Modern piracy ranges from maritime mugging to stealing from merchant ships with the crew held at gunpoint.
What the fuck? The mind really does boggle. Is this really how low we have sunk? Christ I'm depressed.

I was going to see what the Rum Ration mob made of this latest edict but apparently the site is down. Probably overloaded by the mass outbreak of outrage and shame.

JoseyWales said:
Can Blind Pugh come ashore as well ?
Are you kidding, physically disabled and visually impaired? The government would probably put on special services and advisors just to make it easier and more accessible for him.

Has anyone actually looked at the 'Human Rights' document or do we just obey by default whenever someone mentions it?

If it is such a powerful document, I'm pretty sure we can use it to our own advantage whenever some skip licking, low life lawyer dares to mention it?

Sorry to sound so obvious and all that but the cliche of what is good for the goose is good for the gander must apply at all times.

Boll0cks. We should bring back the right for officers of the RN to summarily hang them!

Once again the French have made us look a bunch of pussies.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Has anyone actually looked at the 'Human Rights' document or do we just obey by default whenever someone mentions it?

If it is such a powerful document, I'm pretty sure we can use it to our own advantage whenever some skip licking, low life lawyer dares to mention it?

Sorry to sound so obvious and all that but the cliche of what is good for the goose is good for the gander must apply at all times.
Not all. It doesn't apply to decent upstanding citizens with a sense of duty and morals.

In the 19th century, British warships largely eradicated piracy when they policed the oceans.
because the british empire never employed pirates to hassle the spanish and lord drake was an earnest sailor yeah

different times different policies i suppose

dingerr said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:

Not all. It doesn't apply to decent upstanding citizens with a sense of duty and morals.
Regradless, if you can prove you're a human, you are covered by said article. We often retreat beneath a rock when the document is used as a defence against darwinism but if read properly, it can be used in your favour.

THE Royal Navy, once the scourge of brigands on the high seas, has been told by the Foreign Office not to detain pirates because doing so may breach their human rights.

Warships patrolling pirate-infested waters, such as those off Somalia, have been warned that there is also a risk that captured pirates could claim asylum in Britain.

The Foreign Office has advised that pirates sent back to Somalia could have their human rights breached because, under Islamic law, they face beheading for murder or having a hand chopped off for theft.
Depressing.

I wish some scientist would clone Palmerston or someone like that.

not to detain pirates because doing so may breach their human rights.

also a risk that captured pirates could claim asylum in Britain.

if sent back to Somalia could have their human rights breached because, under Islamic law, they face beheading for murder or having a hand chopped off for theft.
So using Flashy's logic (with whom I agree with, use the document for your own purpose) the answer is really very simple.

You can't keep em, you can't return em, so Kill the Fcukers or just do what we Brits did in the 19th century cast them adrift.

How can the French, who I presume are covered by the same type of European legislation, perform their duty but the Royal Navy cannot?

When did we all become so pussy-whipped by shoddy legislation, third-rate, corrupt politicians and bleeding-heart Stalinist lawyers that we stopped being a sovereign nation?

Cav_STAB said:
How can the French, who I presume are covered by the same type of European legislation, perform their duty but the Royal Navy cannot?
When did we all become so pussy-whipped by shoddy legislation, third-rate, corrupt politicians and bleeding-heart Stalinist lawyers that we stopped being a sovereign nation?
Because we're beholden to the Human Rights Act which has spawned a lucrative industry all of it's own, not for the benefit of Bliar and his cronies honest, we're the only silly feckers in Europe who follow it to the detrement of our decent, law abidding, citizens. :x

As one scrote, recently released from prison and being transported to the custody unit, once proclaimed to me and my oppo.

"The Human Rights Act is great for us criminals"

I thought my mate was going to chin him in the back of the panda.

The Human Rights Act has become an industry for parasites.

Was it Shakespeare who said "First, kill all the lawyers."?

We can't do this, and we can't do that......yet any old bucko and his mate

can do what the **** he likes to us. Blood pressure up. :D :D

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
dingerr said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:

Regradless, if you can prove you're a human, you are covered by said article. We often retreat beneath a rock when the document is used as a defence against darwinism but if read properly, it can be used in your favour.
Theoretically, lawyers can prove anything, even our entitlement to Human Rights. Good lawyers. The trouble is, the state will always have more money than a decent upstanding citizen with a sense of duty and morals. :(

Latest Threads