Pirate Furor

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by recce_rat, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's been much hullabaloo in the media about the recent "possible interception" of a Somali pirate vessel (related to the hostage incident involving the Chandlers) by the Navy. As usual, press reports are just vague enough to be of little information. According to stories reported, a team of UK Marine commando's was in fact ready to intercept a mother ship (cargo ship) operated by the Somali pirates. What's not clear - is whether these chaps had a lot of experience with these sorts of operations. And further, just how many pirates were thought to be on the mother ship? The number of enemy combatants does matter, whether they were lightly armed or not. For whatever reason ... the Navy saw fit to cancel the intercept operation.

Has anyone seen any decent reporting of this issue? I am, of course, referring to facts that are open in the public forum.

cheers lads,
    recce_rat

2. Evening Journo…

3. Actually my mate Baz was on the boat. He says they were about to go in and brass up all the baddies, but some lily livered top brass type got cold feet and kyboshed the op. He says they'd trained for it by watching loads of episodes of 'Under Siege', which was enough as there were only 20 or so heavily armed Al Queida operatives about to shoot everyone.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Did he get to have a go on 'The Birthday Cake'?

5. and I was going to be the second man on the deck...... :D

WW

6. Junglelynx ... thank you. These Somali pirates seem overconfident - very overconfident in fact. Sooner or later someone will go in and brass them up. It should be quite a wakeup call to them.

7. Hullabaloo is a very under used word, I shall use it at every available opportunity.

8. kyboshed… now that's another underused word!

9. A Pirate ship with no hostages onboard?

Was HMS Conqueror busy that day?

10. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

No, just managed to SHED all responsibilities for the day.

11. Please do not perpetuate the myth...

...the word is "kibosh".

Litotes

12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You'll be saying that it isn't Khyber next!

13. Hate to put a kyboshed on this hullabaloo on this Navy debacle but there was a shed load of Pirates and they all had ipods.

14. You're an idiot.

15. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Well that's definitely been kiboSHED.