PIRA / BAOR 1987-1990: Help needed

SJF

Crow
OK lets get the basics out of the way...

newly registered but long-term (incognito) follower of all things ARRSE
Scaley brat (Ex-...although you can never really escape your history...) including:

1979-1982 RAF Laarbruch (MQ Weeze / Pfalzdorf)
1989-1993 RAF Wildenrath (MQ Lyne Ave / Erkelenz / Wassenberg)

Inbetween: Wittering / SM / Coltishall / Finningley / MoD / Lossie / Kinloss.

Currently putting finishing touches to a book on the PIRA campaign against BAOR 1973-1996 to be published in 2020.

In need of assistance

Like many ARRSE members I was there during the Provo campaign against BAOR/BFG, on occasions way too close for comfort. Albeit as a RAF dependant in school at Windsor/Kent and occasionally restocking the NAAFI or Mally in my summer hols, rather than doing an actual proper job involving explosives, guns or aircraft, I‘m sure we share sentiments and experiences that last til this day. With me in particular - Mick and Nivruti Islania at Willi Ottens in Wildenrath village 26.10.89. Will never forget that Thursday night, even less so the tiny white coffin. Although four PIRA were apprehended on the Belgian-Dutch border six months later, some of whom did time for other activities in BAOR, they were not the perpetrators (that time). The fact that a few of the PIRA involved in the campaign in Europe have since passed (some of them thankfully in pain; Grew, Conlon, Farrell, O‘Hanlon, Rooney etc.) does little to diminish the effect their actions had.

I started writing the book in an attempt to piece together everything that PIRA threw at us from Sept 1973 (first JHQ bomb) to June 1996 (Quebec Barracks mortars) and also the people who were trying to kill us, as well as those who ordered them to do so. The story is - with the cooperation of and interviews with various people, governments, organisations and services in Germany, the UK & NI, Ireland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands - pretty much finished. Tried to keep the tone balanced, although obviously I am firmly on one side. A few gaps in the story remain; and a few voices.

So just wanted to fire off an appeal on here to any BAOR who were around at the time; especially those there from early 87 to mid-90 and who were directly affected; for their memories, reactions, eye-witness reports. Of course anyone, especially ex-BSSO / RMP / RAFP, who feel like revealing anything they are not happy with sharing publicly, are welcome to message me directly and privately. The appeal not only relates to the much-publicised events of Bielefeld, Roermond, Nieuw-Bergen, Glamorgan, Roy and Quebec Barracks, Wildenrath, Hanover-Scheffelfeld, Ostende, Dortmund, Langenhagen and Unna, as well as the attempted murders of LCpl’s C. and P. of the Kings Royal Hussars in Münster 01.09.1989, but also in particular the following incidents:

03.08.89 Herford MQ patch
22.08.89 Detmold
03.09.89 Napier Barracks
09.09.89 multiple firearms incidents: Minden, Mülheim, Hemer

Any insight you can give on any of the above would be much appreciated.

If none of this applies to you but you read it anyway...keep on ARRSE-ing around, it‘s a pleasure to read, whatever service, regiments or squadrons you belong(ed) to.

SJF

Last edited:
OK lets get the basics out of the way...

newly registered but long-term (incognito) follower of all things ARRSE
Scaley brat (Ex-...although you can never really escape your history...) including:

1979-1982 RAF Laarbruch (MQ Weeze / Pfalzdorf)
1989-1993 RAF Wildenrath (MQ Lyne Ave / Erkelenz / Wassenberg)

Inbetween: Wittering / SM / Coltishall / Finningley / MoD / Lossie / Kinloss.

Currently putting finishing touches to a book on the PIRA campaign against BAOR 1973-1996 to be published in 2020.

In need of assistance

Like many ARRSE members I was there during the Provo campaign against BAOR/BFG, on occasions way too close for comfort. Albeit as a RAF dependant im school at Windsor/Kent and occasionally restocking the NAAFI or Mally in my summer hols, rather than doing an actual proper job involving explosives, guns or aircraft, I‘m sure we share sentiments and experiences that last til this day. With me in particular, Mick and Nivruti Islania at Willi Ottens in Wildenrath village 26.10.89. Will never forget that Thursday night, even less so the tiny white coffin. Although four PIRA were apprehended on the Belgian-Dutch border six months later, some of whom did time for other activities in BAOR, they were not the perpetrators (that time). The fact that a few of the PIRA involved in the campaign in Europe have since passed (some of them thankfully in pain) does little to diminish the effect their actions had.

I started writing the book in an attempt to piece together everything that PIRA threw at us from Sept 1973 (first JHQ bomb) to June 1996 (Quebec Barracks mortars) and also the people who were trying to kill us, as well as those who ordered them to do so. The story is - with the cooperation of and interviews with various people, governments, organisations and services in Germany, the UK & NI, Ireland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands - pretty much finished. Tried to keep the tone balanced, although obviously I am firmly on one side. A few gaps in the story remain; and a few voices.

So just wanted to fire off an appeal on here to any BAOR who were around at the time; especially those there from early 87 to mid-90 and who were directly affected; for their memories, reactions, eye-witness reports. Of course anyone, especially ex-BSSO / RMP / RAFP, who feel like revealing anything they are not happy with sharing publicly, are welcome to message me directly and privately. The appeal not only relates to the much-publicised fatal events of Bielefeld, Roermond, Nieuw-Bergen, Glamorgan, Roy and Quebec Barracks, Wildenrath, Hanover-Scheffelfeld, Ostende, Dortmund and Unna, as well as the attempted murders of LCpl’s C. and P. of the Kings Royal Hussars in Münster 01.09.1989, but also in particular the following incidents:

03.08.89 Herford MQ patch
22.08.89 Detmold
03.09.89 Napier Barracks
09.09.89 multiple firearms incidents: Minden, Mühlheim, Hemer

Any insight you can give on any of the above would be much appreciated.

If none of this applies to you but you read it anyway...keep on ARRSE-ing around, it‘s a pleasure to read, whatever service, regiments or squadrons you belong(ed) to.

SJF

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Don't stint on the references. This is liable to be a "work of record".

SJF

Crow
Thanks, completely agree and paid particular attention....particularly as German/SF/PIRA/Box500 lawyers are pretty adept at dealing with these sort of things...

Last edited:

SJF

Crow
just to add obviously any contributions will be handled confidentially and anonymously unless expressly advised otherwise

Latest Threads