Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIRA attacks in BAOR / BFG

He was the inspecting officer at one of my last School parades back in the early 80s when he was CinC UKLF (TL-DR - forces school, does ceremonial/has Colours; end of year is a full-dress parade with General Officer from one of the three services).

I'd read his book ("Bunch of Five") in the school library, so I knew who he was and what he'd done. I just remember this bloke with a very piercing gaze...
I worked closely for him back in the day (60s), he could be a bit dry and on serious stuff he had no time for idiots - the higher their rank, the less time he had for them. He was however, with the exception of the collection of intelligence matters, very conventional, a stickler for SOPs. He was totally focused on the job. He gets a bad press and I can understand why, but I know that a lot of it is misplaced.

SJF

Swinger
thanks again for all your feedback on this - for those interested the book is now available on Amazon as paperback as well

He did one of his trips north in 1983 when he hammered the TA and dropped in with us at SID Glencorse, when I was a depot Pl Cmdr. He was a nasty Black Mafia type, not high on social skills and very nifty with a stiletto. His fame and glory all came from nasty IS operations where he lurked in the shadows and conducted dark ops. His ADC at the time was a charmer who went onto become a Major General, surprisingly he was not from Winchester but one of the posh Scottish schools over the Earn!
Sorry this was a couple of months ago and I missed it. I am working on a paper about him now. The school you mention, I suspect was either Strathallen or Glenalmond. I spoke a couple of times at the latter (I lived close by for a while - its a catchment area for retired mil too)

I managed to get a hold of a couple of RB Chronicles as well as Bunch of Fives - nasty stuff indeed.

Sorry this was a couple of months ago and I missed it. I am working on a paper about him now. The school you mention, I suspect was either Strathallen or Glenalmond. I spoke a couple of times at the latter (I lived close by for a while - its a catchment area for retired mil too)

I managed to get a hold of a couple of RB Chronicles as well as Bunch of Fives - nasty stuff indeed.
It was Glenalmond, and he was delightful.
With FoI those who were nailed by him can get to see their service reports. My advice Is don't bother, he was cruel!

It was Glenalmond, and he was delightful.
With FoI those who were nailed by him can get to see their service reports. My advice Is don't bother, he was cruel!
I didn't actually have any run ins with Kitson - too far down the food chain, although he seemed a bit taken aback when he gave me some material to work on during an overnight duty and said 'i'll sign these in the morning and I laughed. He responded rather meekly and said 'I'm not joking'.

My problem was with one his proteges who, in my opinion, was the most inappropriate man to ever command a battalion. I know what I did, but I also know what he did even though he was too much of a coward to place on (my) record. I found out thirty years too late - the man was an utter disgrace.

ETA Glenalmond produced a whole host of amazing people: Sandy Gall (Newscaster), Robbie Coltrane (Actor) and Rob Wainwright (Rugby) to name just a few. I had a good friend, now deceased, who was the Art Master. He used to pay me for work I did in paintings, one of which is the main building of the college in winter. I lived nearby at the time and deliberately drove by the campus if I was travelling to Perth - incredible location for students.

Last edited:
I didn't actually have any run ins with Kitson - too far down the food chain, although he seemed a bit taken aback when he gave me some material to work on during an overnight duty and said 'i'll sign these in the morning and I laughed. He responded rather meekly and said 'I'm not joking'.

My problem was with one his proteges who, in my opinion, was the most inappropriate man to ever command a battalion. I know what I did, but I also know what he did even though he was too much of a coward to place on (my) record. I found out thirty years too late - the man was an utter disgrace.
Sadly there is a creation in thine image factor. Bit of a Jesuit thing!