Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIRA attacks in BAOR / BFG

In 1980 we had sentries on the gates with SLRs and ammo in the guard room ready to go. Which in one incident did happen, our guard went out tooled up when the officers were shooting bunnies out of an old SAAB on the playing fields. Embarrassing all round, especially as a contact was reported to the Field officer. Oodles of slapped wrists and the Orderley officers forecast was quite predictable for the next four months. Bloody tiring I can tell you!
Interestingly it was Barossa Bks in Hemer. Didn't know there had been a subsequent IRA contact there, but some cracking potential firing points all round the camp.
IIRC, three lads left the camp on a Sunday afternoon, car pulls up and opened fire.

Yup. Young 18-year-old me in 1985, at Strensall Camp in York, doing prowler with a pick helve.

Around Portakabin accommodation that replaced a block blown up by PIRA in the 1970s. Next to a chainlink perimeter fence that was all of three feet high, and looked like the back garden fences they used to put up in the pads' quarters. With stiles over it. Our RSM was simmering gently over things, particularly trying to deconflict the main camp's Guardroom being "forgetful" enough of the boundary to find themselves patrolling around our female accommodation...

On the bright side, the other prowler (Izzy, eventually made WO2) and I managed to catch the RQMS and one of the Stores Cpls shagging in the empty accommodation. We thought we'd caught a thief, and stood the guard to. I was too young to take advantage of the potential opportunity for a supermarket sprint in the QM's store...

Nah, they're OK if you're careful (some of our... more interesting Jocks... were every bit as worrying; take young Vinnie, who managed to stab himself with his own bayonet on the section attack range).

Maybe I'm overconfident - I once ran an entire UOTC through the IBSR (yay for being the token TA infantry Captain), and no-one got hurt! Or had an ND! Granted, there were a couple of meeep <takes deep breath> moments, but the worst thing you can do to inexperienced people with firearms, is to start shouting and making them really nervous...
Just as amatter of interest who was the bloke the RQMS was shagging?

SJF

Swinger
yep 09/09/89, the PIRA had a go at Wrexham Barracks, Kingsley Barracks in Minden and in Hemer, all on the same day…but thankfully didn’t get lucky once.

Thanks for all the stories! Have to agree with whoever said there is another whole book waiting to be written on recruits with guns…tbh, I think sentry / guard duty stories as a whole could probably fill a hugely entertaining couple of bookshelves on their own...

yep 09/09/89, the PIRA had a go at Wrexham Barracks, Kingsley Barracks in Minden and in Hemer, all on the same day…but thankfully didn’t get lucky once.

Thanks for all the stories! Have to agree with whoever said there is another whole book waiting to be written on recruits with guns…tbh, I think sentry / guard duty stories as a whole could probably fill a hugely entertaining couple of bookshelves on their own...
Absolutely, Just before I was posted to 3 Regt AAC in Soest, a gate sentry, armed with a 9mm who held a grudge against one of the RPs, shot him in the head and killed him.

There was the shooting of a RRW Warrant Officer in Ostend, simply targeted in his car at traffic lights near the ferry port because he had BFG plates on his car.
Thought he was LI?

Absolutely, Just before I was posted to 3 Regt AAC in Soest, a gate sentry, armed with a 9mm who held a grudge against one of the RPs, shot him in the head and killed him.
Anybody remember a case in 4/7DG about 1965/6 when a RP and a REME Cfn had a shootout with .380 revolvers at Falaise Camp in Little Aden ? The Cfn got a bullet in the neck, though not seriously. Pair of mates apparently, but they'd just gone bananas.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Remember being orderly officer in Hemer when Colonel Mark Coe was killed in Bielefeld. Nasty days indeed
A few years earlier, in 1973, my wife and I went to see the Dubliners at the Oetker-Halle in Bielefeld. They were on a European tour on the back of a hit they'd had with Black Velvet Band.
They'd had a previous hit with Off to Dublin in the Green with its lines about "the echo of a Thompson gun" just before the latest round of Troubles kicked off, and we tolerant Brits took no offence.

How many Brits were in the audience at the Oetker-Halle I can't tell, but it didn't seem like many.
Anyway, the number which got the biggest cheers, and said much about the sentiment of our European "friends", was Come and Join the British Army.
Mind you, the Oetker-Halle was close to the university, and that lot would have cheered insults about the Bundeswehr as well.

Last edited:
Dear all,
not sure this is the right place to post or even I'm allowed but though it might be of interest to a few who served either in Germany in the 70s / 80s / 90s or on Op.Banner: my book on the PIRA campaign against BAOR / BFG "The Overseas Department" is out in January if anyone fancies taking a look. It covers pretty much everything that happened from 73 to 96, including the JHQ, Glamorgan Bks, Langenhagen, Quebec Bks and other bomb attacks, as well as the shootings / car bombs in Wildenrath, Roermond, Hannover, Nieuw Bergen, Unna, as well as other incidents in Hemer, Mülheim-an-der-Ruhr, Napier Bks and many more. Have tried to tell the full story of who was involved and how everything linked together. It's not gonna bring anyone back sadly taken away from us by the Provos or win any awards, but those who were there at the time might be interested in having a read when it comes out. And probably correcting loads of stuff :)

You can find "The Overseas Department" on Amazon and Apple Books (System won't allow me to post links...), out 22.01.21.

Cheers SJF
Do you cover the attacks on political targets in Europe? I seem to recall an assassination of a senior British diplomat and an attack on one of the Tugenhadts.

I also recall from the dim and distant recesses of my memory an attack on Al Haig that was at first believed to be a mistaken identity attack by the IRA but which was subsequently found to be a Red Army attack on Haig.

SJF

Swinger
Do you cover the attacks on political targets in Europe? I seem to recall an assassination of a senior British diplomat and an attack on one of the Tugenhadts.

I also recall from the dim and distant recesses of my memory an attack on Al Haig that was at first believed to be a mistaken identity attack by the IRA but which was subsequently found to be a Red Army attack on Haig.

good point - yes the ones that were definitely PIRA, some were INLA, some Red Army. The senior diplomat killed by the IRA in the Hague was the British Ambassador to the Netherlands - Sir Richard Sykes - who was targeted because he drew up tighter security plans for diplomats abroad against IRA attacks. The same evening in Brussels they also shot dead a Belgian banker by mistake as they thought he was the NATO attaché who lived across the road.

good point - yes the ones that were definitely PIRA, some were INLA, some Red Army. The senior diplomat killed by the IRA in the Hague was the British Ambassador to the Netherlands - Sir Richard Sykes - who was targeted because he drew up tighter security plans for diplomats abroad against IRA attacks. The same evening in Brussels they also shot dead a Belgian banker by mistake as they thought he was the NATO attaché who lived across the road.
Was there PIRA/INLA involvement in the Haig attack or was that just bollocks?

ETA: For clarity I mean Al Haig, not the Hague

SJF

Swinger

Purely Red Army Faction I think, although authorities were worried they were working with PIRA at the time, it turned out there was no connection or collaboration.

RedDinger

Old-Salt

Bollocks I believe. It would have been unlikely the Irish would have attacked an American target (not purposely anyway).

SJF

Swinger
Purely Red Army Faction I think, although authorities were worried they were working with PIRA at the time, it turned out there was no connection or collaboration.

and pretty much the same German investigation team was working on both PIRA and RAF at the same time.

PLC1966A

Crow
thanks! similar story here: my Dad worked with Mick Islania at Wildenrath up until the PIRA attack, the initial impulse for researching and writing the book.
Drop me a PM with your Dads name, I knew Mick and a lot of the Comcen Gang, looking at your initi
als I might have known your Dad,

Latest Threads