Discussion in 'Officers' started by papegojan, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have asked this elsewhere and am hoping that the ladies and gentlemen of this forum can help me with this. I am an instructor in the ACF and the other night was instructing my new recruits in badges of rank. When I came to the commissioned officers, I told them about pips. Normally the recruits accept that this is the given name for that particular symbol, and the lesson continues. The other night, to my horror, one of them raises his hand and asks "Why are they called pips?" cue one veteran instructor doing a good impression of a stranded goldfish, before regaining his composure with the immortal answer of "I don't know but I will try and find out for you". The internet has not shed much ight on things for me, telling me the proper name for them etc, but why pips? I await your convenience
  2. I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough, but I thought pips was the colloquial name. The proper name is "Bath star".
  3. In the Household Division, they are always refered to as Stars. In all regiments of H Div, they are Garter Stars, less in IG which uses the Star of St Patrick, and SG which uses the Star of something else. Most of the rest of the army uses the Bath Star, therefore that is the correct name.
  4. In the Royal Welsh and the PWRR they are Eversleigh Stars and NEVER pips.

Oranges have pips.
  5. I believe that the Scots use the star of the Order of the Thistle. Coldstream, Welsh and Horrid Grenadiers wear Garter stars in monchrome, HCav with a bit of colour.
  6. Thankyou for the answers so far. I should have clarified my question better. I know the correct names are bath stars, garter stars order of the thistle stars etc, but in the regiment I am badges to they are referred to colloquially as pips, and I wondered if anyone could shed light on the origin of this?
  7. I think it really might be as simple as "they look like pips."
  8. Pips are units of numerical value

Sad fact for the day: the spots on dominos are called pips too.

Can you tell today is a slow day for me?

9. And on dice too. Indeed, the symbols that denote the suit on playing cards are also called pips.

The distance between two spaces on a Backgammon Board is also called a pip.

Pip is also a bird disease.

and you thought your day was slow.
  10. Because they look like what the Greenwich Time Signal sounds like?

I'll get me coat.
  11. How do you sort your mess bills out for functions based on "pippage" then? Eversleigh starrage sounds awfully clumsy.
  12. Correctg, but I thought I'd try a different tack by asking on the officer's forum, as some of the answers on that thread weren't what I was looking for. I was hoping the fine people in this forum might be the ones to ask.