Piper Bill Millin RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jack-daniels, Aug 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't remember, but did he not Pipe across Pegasus Bridge too?
    RIP old boy. Another fine legend.

2. He did indeed.

3. Sad news indeed. I had the enormous privilege of meeting him on Pegasus Bridge last June.

4. A true legend.

He will be reunited with Lord Lovat in the great Naafi bar in the sky.

Extract from Wiki....http://en.wikipedia.org

5. Only in the film, not in the real world :shock:

Sniper fire prevented any parading over Pegasus (Benoville bridge), and Bill only played crossing Horsa, the second bridge.

RIP

No.9

6. If memory serves, he was interviewed for the (recently concluded on BBC) World At War series: from his demeanour it was clear that while he piped his way ashore, on the orders of the Lord Lovat, he clearly would have preferred a less conspicuous way of entering Nazi-held Europe. Nevertheless, putting all such thoughts to one side, he did what his commander required of him, and has gone down in history forever.

A brave man. We owe him and his generation everything.

Pipey, I salute you.

Slainte.

7. I remember when I was at school there was a copy of Bill's book in the school library, signed and dedicated to the boys of the school. I was very tempted to take it, it had been there years and I was the first person to ever sign it out (must have read it about 4 or 5 times), but never did. Wish I had cos I've been looking for a copy ever since but to no avail!

8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

9. Rest In Peace Piper Bill... a Legend indeed and an iconic figure whenever one thinks of the Normandy landings one of the images that comes to mind is of Piper Bill landing with the British Commandoes...

10. Good call Rampant! maybe the reason us Brits have been so poor at adding funds to this is because this is the first we have heard of it! ARRSErs here is the link to Donate, lets show them we DO care: D-DAY PIPER BILL MILLIN

11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No probs Gundulph, I noticed it in the wiki, did a search on here and NOBODY and I mean NOBODY had noticed it when it was printed in the Telegraph in June:

GET YOUR WALLETS OUT LADIES & GENTLEMAN - I have.

12. Myself and Mittmayo have donated and I have started to spread the word on FaceBook, there is a FaceBook link you can press on the French Bill Millin Site where it will Publish the story to your FB Page... I am very sure that lowly 8 British donators will rapidly increase due to ARRSE...

13. R.I.P Mr Millin, hope you meet up with felow piper Daniel Laidlaw, VC, 7 Batt. K.O.S.B, Loos 1915, you two pipeys should make a great team up yonder.

14. Rest in Peace Piper Bill. What a legend!