• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Pipe Tunes.

Was Just reading the Cameronians thread and somebody mentioned "Within a mile o' Edinburgh toon"

My personal favourite has to be "Cock o' the North." Any more good ones worth a mention?

galgenberg said:
"Farewell to the creeks" (later given words by Hamish Henderson-"The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily)
Really moving, Dick Gaughans version of the song on "Sail on" is great. Not forgetting "The Bloody Fields of Flanders",another great wee pipe tune,words by Hamish Henderson and retitled..."The Freedom come- all -ye". Which was apparently rejected a while back as a potential Scottish national anthem.

Best tune though "THE BLACK BEAR." :wink:

Has to be "Garyowen" in there for me - great marching tune.

Regimental March of The Ulster Defence Regiment, (for the uninformed).

I remember the time we were given the Freedom of....

TZA

TangoZeroAlpha said:

TZA
I always thought that "The Sash" filled that role :lol:

CarpeDiem said:
Highland Cathedral - hairs on the back of my neck and heart rate go up every time I hear it
Alas and alack, this German tune and very recent arrangement is a crock of $h1te, and is known among the cogosenti as "Highland Fcuking Cathedral".

When a Jock colleague of mine first heard it he liked it, but hated it within days as it was cheap. horrible, hackneyed tripe.

For my part I find myself, as ever sitting on the fence.

Brian Boru's march is looked upon favourably within the Whiffler dynasty..

ViroBono said:
'The Barren Rocks of Aden' is a favourite, amongst others.
That's a smashing one ViroBono. Up with the best of them. I also like
'the Highland brigade at Magersfontain' and 'Miss Drummond of Perth'

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Dumbarton's Drums

Blue Bonnets o're the Border

Interesting to see which comes out on top if there is a merger.

TangoZeroAlpha said:

TZA
Also the regimental march of the US 7th Cavalry.....the original title in Irish is 'Gairdín Eoin'.

'Black Bear' is a rousing tune marching back to barracks.
'Hey Johnnie Cope' when played by the entire P&D for long reveille.
The dreaded 'A Man's a Man For A' That' when YOU'RE not on CO's Orders.
'Blue Bonnets o'er the Border (had to mention that one Auld Yin!). Bet it becomes the March Past for 1Scots!
Though my personal favourite is 'The Bugle Horn'.

Only liked 'Scotland The Brave' when played for the Advance in Review Order (P&D never played 'British Grenadiers').

Aye. The Tunes of Glory!

Though the '25th Farewell to Meerut' is a catchy little number...

TangoZeroAlpha said:
Galgenberger (is that with cheese)

Now I hope you are not being insulting... the Sash is an Orange Order tune which has nothing to do with my Regiment.
Strange,I recall Rangers using that tune as a "Stand-To" in the dripping German forests nigh on a quarter century ago :? It had the same effect on the assembled "traffic bump for Ivan" troops as the war-horns of Arminus had on the Legions of Publius Quintillius Varus.(not a lot were happy about it :) )

Latest Threads