Pipe to Heating Matrix has sheared?

RTU'd

LE
OK, the pipe to the heating matrix from the engine coolant reservoir has sheared.
The breakdown bloke bodged a repair on it so we could get it to a garage.

But now a case of getting it repaired & to see if any damage has been caused.
The coolant did not run dry when it happened but it seems to be a major repair or is it.
White steam was coming out of engine bay.

Its on a mates skoda Octavia which is 11 years old if that helps.

Any help on this arrse would result in free beer on Saturday for all at the Red Lion at 15:00

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Photo's? what is the pipe material and where has it sheared?
steam is generally white BTW ;)

FFS, has no one thought to alert me to these technical matters to which I have been known to diagnose the problem in such quick time.

After looking at the OPs description and bringing all the years of my technical knowledge to bear, it appears the fücking fückers fücking fücked.

Hope this helps.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
What @leveller said.

Difficult to repair the matrix because the metal is very thin.

Older ones made from brass / copper could be soldered. Modern ones I would not even want to try and it will need to be on the bench to work on it.

Getting the matrix out will probably require 12" long multi jointed fingers and an extra arm joint.

G4Star

On ROPS
On ROPs
Takes years of study.
Perhaps the Op did not realise we are in the presence of an RLC God.
After all the RLC Chef course has been taken by many, but few have passed.
Show's the Really Large Corps are the pinnacle of the Army at Deepcut.

@G4Star, dingerr is not (and has never been) a chef.
He did try it once though. His shredded meatballs (and other meaty bits) recipe is considered to be one of the most radical ever attempted and it did get him closer to God than most on here. I'm pretty sure even he will not be attempting that one again.

P.S. The Really Large Corps is now at (Un)Worthy Down.

tiny_recy_mac

Old-Salt
This job will be expensive, mostly in labour, if the matrix needs to come out. In some cars this can be done through the passenger foot well, in others the entire dash needs to be removed. If it is only the plastic pipes that come off the engine to feed the matrix rather than on the matrix side, the pipes will be expensive but the job is relatively simple.

cymraeg

War Hero
What vehicle is it mate? As others have said the matrix is a piece of piss to replace its the getting to it than can be a pain in the arse (dash out etc) and labour intensive. If you are lucky it might just be one of the pipes in the engine bay that doesn't need the matrix changing

cymraeg

War Hero
Photo's? what is the pipe material and where has it sheared?
steam is generally white BTW ;)
point of order here..... steam is invisible , water vapour after the steam has cooled a tad is white

I know , pedantic bastard

point of order here..... steam is invisible , water vapour after the steam has cooled a tad is white

I know , pedantic bastard
But....but...but......how can steam be anything until the vapour condenses what really did not exist and it becomes something?
It does not really exist does it?
Indeed, it could be a mere figment of your imagination?
( Which direction will I just F off on?)

Blogg

LE
What vehicle is it mate? As others have said the matrix is a piece of piss to replace its the getting to it than can be a pain in the arse (dash out etc) and labour intensive. If you are lucky it might just be one of the pipes in the engine bay that doesn't need the matrix changing

Additional aggro often introduced by need for degassing/regassing of aircon.

Just because it's not enough of a PITA already

RTU'd

LE
FFS, has no one thought to alert me to these technical matters to which I have been known to diagnose the problem in such quick time.

After looking at the OPs description and bringing all the years of my technical knowledge to bear, it appears the fücking fückers fücking fücked.

Hope this helps.
Always good to have the RLC's view on a problem.

BUT the wizard mechanic we went to found out it was just the retaining clip.
So a new hose & hose clip and its all mended & the car is back on the road full tank of petrol in it.

Arrse thank you for all the comments even the crap ones!
@cymraeg very useful the workshop manual bit, cheers.

Always good to have the RLC's view on a problem.

BUT the wizard mechanic we went to found out it was just the retaining clip.
So a new hose & hose clip and its all mended & the car is back on the road full tank of petrol in it.

Arrse thank you for all the comments even the crap ones!
@cymraeg very useful the workshop manual bit, cheers.
A full tank you say. That's doubled the value of he skoda

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
A contractor I worked with down at RAF Cranwell has an early model Octavia Diesel on an 04 plate. Last time I saw him it had racked up 225,000 miles and was still in daily use doing about 70 miles a day.

Not a car that lights my candle, but can't knock the modern ones for reliability.

A contractor I worked with down at RAF Cranwell has an early model Octavia Diesel on an 04 plate. Last time I saw him it had racked up 225,000 miles and was still in daily use doing about 70 miles a day.

there's a 57 plate blue estate on auto trader with 440k on it

Full mot £500 "but sold as unroadworthy"

anything with a bit of TLC will do big mileages

Latest Threads