• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Pioneer history

Can anyone tell me what the red and green flash is that the Pioneers used to wear? Ive heard it called Blood on grass. I have tried to find its meaning on the internet, but there are no links i can find to explain it. Is is a battle honour as some think? And if so what was it?

Can anyone tell me what the red and green flash is that the Pioneers used to wear? Ive heard it called Blood on grass. I have tried to find its meaning on the internet, but there are no links i can find to explain it. Is is a battle honour as some think? And if so what was it?
I'm not sure if it has any historical meaning, but it sounds a lot like the WW2 arm of service stripes that were worn on battledress.

Arm of Service Strips

How man, I was sittin on me own in the Naafi when wor colonel gans up tae us and says 'geordie man' hows aboot ye come up with something canny for them pie and ears? so I says 'how man, divvunt be hassling us man, did ye know that i wus in the SAS but only if ye have checked ower both of ya sholdaz like', and so I then says ' av got just the thing for em' now he divvunt kna it but ah only had two colours left in us paint box and it wuz red and green so after ah checked ower both of me sholdaz ah whispered in his ear like that 'red an green was the most best for em cos a mongoose could eat a whole lion and if it did it in a field outside of the the toon there would be all blood on the field like'. He turned to us winked and tapped his nose. he says 'geordie man your a ******* class act son' and ah says 'colonel, ah ******* know it'

Only those that have never served with the Pioneers would feel the need to ridicule them. Some of the best soldiers ive ever met. Simple!!!

Well I have, and I can say that they were indeed excellent. At stagging on, humping and dumping and other such tasks that everyone else dripped at. Their SSM would be given a shit job by the ARRC headshed, he'd lap it up and dump it on his boys. Who then just got on with it. **** knows what motivated the blokes, they just got on with it without moaning.

That's exactly how I remember the ones in thiepval years ago, rocket scientists? NO. but fuking pile of good lads.

Agreed - not RLC myself, but the guys stagging on at 9 sigs were a cracking bunch. When I was at Thiepval a couple of years later they ran a cadre course for potential Cpls. Upon attending the Royal Signals Corporals Course a while later I was embarrassed at how shit it was compared what the Pioneers had thrown together. My Senior Command and Leadership course with the Signals wasn't much better either.

T

Tremaine

Well I have, and I can say that they were indeed excellent. At stagging on, humping and dumping and other such tasks that everyone else dripped at. Their SSM would be given a shit job by the ARRC headshed, he'd lap it up and dump it on his boys. Who then just got on with it. **** knows what motivated the blokes, they just got on with it without moaning.

That's exactly how I remember the ones in thiepval years ago, rocket scientists? NO. but fuking pile of good lads.
Chunkies? Every one of 'em a heart of gold, still remember Norman Castle, in Minden top camp, heart of gold, thick as a brick :) They done securities on Thiepval gate IIRC. Shared a few tables blagging late meals in the cookhouse with them, never a wrong word. The same crowd that were caught in the Robins Nest honey trap, would have been about 1981 or 1982. They chucked us a beer before they went to bed the night before. Used to know all their names but time has forgotten them all, besides Geordie and Singh.

Us Crabs had our own pet Chunkie once. Davy B**n - a lunatic Scot, who loved us so much he virtually lived in our hut and used to borrow our kit and bimble around Airport Camp in it. ******* loon, but top bloke.

And just to add the chunkies did their fair share of patrols, every unit that was a bit undermanned always roped in an available chunk, they worked hard but by **** they made up for it later with the drink.

ugly

LE
It would do to be remembered that IJLB used to keep slots in Arnhem company for RPC Junior Leaders. There weren't any on my intake (despite a fair few of us being offered) and the reputation and career progression of former Shornecliffe boys was rapid to say the least!

Us Crabs had our own pet Chunkie once. Davy B**n - a lunatic Scot, who loved us so much he virtually lived in our hut and used to borrow our kit and bimble around Airport Camp in it. ******* loon, but top bloke.
I know Davy :)
I remember seeing him on his first day in Germany in Ripon Bks NAFFI looking at the price of booze with wide eyes and a happy grin on his face :)

I think it was a simplified "This way up " sign for illiterate chunkies. Grass at the bottom, red hat band at the top. It made it easier for them to get fell in a reasonably upright pile of ******* thick spackers.

Chunkies? Every one of 'em a heart of gold, still remember Norman Castle, in Minden top camp, heart of gold, thick as a brick :) They done securities on Thiepval gate IIRC. Shared a few tables blagging late meals in the cookhouse with them, never a wrong word. The same crowd that were caught in the Robins Nest honey trap, would have been about 1981 or 1982. They chucked us a beer before they went to bed the night before. Used to know all their names but time has forgotten them all, besides Geordie and Singh.
That is a name from the past, Norman Castle! Your description is perfect! Top bloke, little short upstairs, but would bend over backwards for you. Lot of respect for the Chunks, put up, shut up, and got on with a lot of crap that most squaddies felt was below them. Don't think I ever recall meeting a wrong un. Recall one from down South, huge ginger Orangutan of a man, more hair escaping round his shirt collar than Clint Eastwoods missus, complete with glasses two coke bottles thick. Lasting picture I have is him picking up full 205l drums of aviation fuel and loading them on the the back of a Bedford MK, strong like mong! Staight lift, no jerk.

Latest Threads