Pink...Mr President. Best protest song since the 60s?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by datumhead, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I rather like it - it's a good tune and highlights (in a necessarily simplistic way) some of the key failings of Dubya's reign. She's also got a cracking pair of lungs and does seem to sing it with genuine feeling. I wonder if that's the original music video?

*wanders off for a second listen*

2. Aha - cheers.

Sorry mate, she's the current Mrs Artemis and says she's no longer interested in blokes. :D

3. after she is done with me that is Artemis ....... the song is great though and i belive she wrote with here dad after he got back from nam!

4. You're always welcome round ours, Halo :D

Not surprised to hear she wrote it with a veteran - I'm on my 4th listen now and there's an emotional edge which her previous choons have lacked.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Fick mein alter stiefel that is good.

Art and Halo get a room FFS :D - and let me do the filming!!!!!

6. i have to say i have allways liked pink but that song, realy got me to repsect her as a songwriter and artist, it realy just hits me i cant listen to it if im in a mardy mood.

ps thanks for the invite should i bring red or white wine :D

7. I was sold after hearing the lyric "I'm coming up, so you'd better get the party started" being played on saturday morning chart shows. Nearly as funny as Ebenezer Good :D But this is definately a step up.

Fcuk the wine Halo - just bring a litre of KY and some candles ;) Grem - more batteries for the camcorder this time, please.

8. thanks datum for the link.
    Seems 'what a state America's in' is becoming a growing sub genre of music.
    A track from the new album by Rufus Wainwright which is No2 in the album charts in Britain has a song called 'Going to a town.' It has the lines 'I'm so tired of you, America/You took advantage of a world that loved you well.'
    Richard Thompson has a song out called 'Dad's Gonna Kill Me.' (Dad being Baghdad)
    Both tracks on youtube.
    And Neil Young's 'Living with War' album is worth a listen.

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, none of these people are anti American. Quite the contrary, they all love America. They just hate what G. bloody Bush has done to the place .

9. Respect

beautiful song

10. oppsie if got it slightly wrong 'I Have Seen The Rain' which is the Hidden Track on 'I'm Not Dead' is the one writen by her father while he was in Vietnam.

Dear mr president
    The song was written by Pink and billymann. Pink came up with the idea to ask the Indigo Girls to join the recording of the song. According to an interview, they "...believe in the song. An open letter to the president, that's what we needed."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Mr._President

Artemis 'yummy yummy'

11. Lee Harvey Oswald - ehere are you when the world really needs a man like you?

Pink,

Well sung, ma'am, bloody well sung.

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well well well, I must be living in a cave, song is a year old and I've never heard it!!!! Good song, but then she's always been a class act (well post that first song with the motorbike, even if I do like women on bikes in leather, but that's a whole different thread I'm sure).

A person linked to me by the famous 'six degrees' did a version of her song entitled 'Pink Vs Lester Sterling', worth a listen if you have 5...

13. Yup - this one :)

Sat here listening to that with a big smile on my face - excellent track, love the brass :D That's getting played again :)