ping

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by maguire, Oct 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the last couple of days, the ping on the COD4 Modern Warfare (the first one) servers is in four figures minimum (when it was perfectly fine before) - when I run Speedtest however, my ping comes up as 33ms.

anyone got any ideas? think it wil be at Activisions end?

2. What are you pinging? By running Speedtest I'm assuming speedtest.net, and by default that will use a local node. If you are pinging activision then you are more than likely pinging a gateway, gameplay passing through to a server farm which may be having issues, or the gateway detecting where you are from and redirecting gameplay to a local node that is experiencing issues.

It may also not be an issue at either your or activisions end - routing tables being what they are you can be fine between yourself and the local node, but traffic to activision may be passing though a bottleneck so both yourself and activision have screaming connections, the problem being in the middle.

If you have a windows machine, from the command line try a pathping rather than ping

3. Are you playing on PC or console??/

Console COD is played as peer to peer hosting rather than dedicated servers ;I dont know about PC