Ping, Ping, Ping, Bump F**K!! Another Boat hits the rocks

Aunty Stella said:
Lesleycape said:
My sister was aboard this ship
Mess blanket or squaddie mattress?
No need to be rude! I might have to send some bloke round to sort you out :wink:

And shouldn't that read sailor's mattress! :p

TM

Of course I wasn't proposing discussing her role, just pointing out that an SSN is there for a reason.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
the_matelot said:
At least no-one was injured-15+ knots to 0 underwater can have nasty consequences....
Did they all run forward,then back,then left and then right like they used to do on Votage To The Bottom Of The Sea? :D

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

Litotes said:
To be absolutely fair to the RN, I wonder how good the charts are for that area?

I recall watching a programme last year about a Scottish trawler that either hit a submerged rock or lost its nets on something that wasn't marked on the charts. They reported the damage and the Hydrographic Office despatched a survey vessel which found a pinnacle that hadn't been mapped because it was so "thin". At low tide, the rock was only a few metres below the surface but had been missed by the survey vessels.

I can't see the Red Sea being any better mapped than the Scottish Islands!

Litotes
If the Telegraph is to be believed they were submerged at the time of the collision. I can't understand why they would transit the Gulf of Suez submerged; it's rather shallow, poorly surveyed as you point out, and filled with uncharted wrecks and oilrig paraphernalia. Poor drills and a duff risk assessment, unless there's a burningly important operational reason for not being on the surface.

If I remember my Tom Clancy correctly, submarines are designed to operate underwater, and are faster, more maneuverable and slightly more discrete ;) when submerged.

Hopefully there is sufficient slack in the system so that her duties can be picked up by another vessel while she is repaired.

PB

Sounds like another nasty tracing paper incident - a la HMS Trafalgar :wink: :wink: :?

Was this MORE fecking tracing paper covering the Charts, or is it a case of the sonar not being switched on to save the electricity bill being too high?. "Water in the people tank!, Blow main Ballast!"

PassingBells said:
If I remember my Tom Clancy correctly, submarines are designed to operate underwater, and are faster, more maneuverable and slightly more discrete ;) when submerged.

Hopefully there is sufficient slack in the system so that her duties can be picked up by another vessel while she is repaired.

PB
Do you honestly think there will be slack in the system??!!??

My thoughts:
- first, GPS doesn't work under water as the signal from the satellite won't penetrate far enough. Instead they relay on inertial navigation aids, good charts and lots of other tricks I can't guess at.
- second, PassingBells is absolutely right about the sub being meant to operate under water, esp a nuke powered one. You only surface when you actually need to. The whole point is to stay hidden.
- third, "stuff happens" when you're doing something like this. It's not like that boat that managed to hit Australia a few years back. Now that was dumb. Oh, and what about the one that hit London Bridge :)

[bigger pedant on] It wouldn't be if his sister was on her! Women aren't allowed on subs (boats), only surface vessels (ships) [bigger pedant off]

And it's 32 years old...

msr

I think the RN needs to spend some money on a good public relations team. i'm sure it has done something of great success recently but I can only recall 'errors' recently and they have indicated a lack of professional ability. Oh ! they did do a good job painting railings on Malta according to the Warship programme the other night.

Lesleycape said:
When I saw this thread I thought it might be the HMS Graffton. My sister was aboard this ship when in crashed no less than 3 times in less than 3 weeks back in the late 90'S. 8O
Dread said:
Lesleycape said:
My sister was aboard this ship
[Pedant on] It is a boat, not a ship. [Pedant off]
[Superpedant on] Read the whole quote. HMS Grafton was a Type 23 frigate, i.e. a ship, not a boat (submarine). [Superpedant off]

She is now called Almirante Lynch in the Chilean Navy.

I love this site :) If ever you need to find a collection of nerds and teckies that could win any pub quiz in the world simply post something on here and they will come out of the woodwork. :)

What with MOD being so tight with equipment purchases, they were probably navigating with a dodgy, third-hand sat-nav that they bought off Ebay....and it was programmed for a journey from Possilpark to Longniddry.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Litotes said:
To be absolutely fair to the RN, I wonder how good the charts are for that area?

Litotes
Does the old army adage of never give an occifer a map work for the navy also then?

Dread said:
I love this site :) If ever you need to find a collection of nerds and teckies that could win any pub quiz in the world simply post something on here and they will come out of the woodwork. :)
Surely that is what makes this site so enjoyable.

msr said:
And it's 32 years old...

msr
I noticed that too. HMS Superb can't have long left before paying off as it is. I think that there will be a long hard look taken at the cost of repairs versus taking the sub out of service now as being more cost effective. Given that HMS Astute can't be that far off joining the fleet I think that this option will be given serious consideration.

Latest Threads