Ping, Ping, Ping, Bump F**K!! Another Boat hits the rocks

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Achtung-Panzers, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RN Crashes another boat.
    Once is unlucky.
    Twice is careless

Then again, if as the BBC is correct and Superb was deployed to Afghanistan, then unlikely they could keep it underwater and off the rocks, as IIRC the Stan ain't by the seaside.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7422774.stm

Do they have poorly trained drivers / navigators, or is the equiptment/ charts out of date?

2. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Or are they busy doing 'other things'?

ie worrying about whether or not they will get a free suit from Iran if they're captured..

3. This sort of thing has happened before as charts are not infallible or necessarily up to date. The very nasty USS San Francisco incident in 2005 springs to mind. Lets see what the enquiry brings.

I wonder how they will get her home if she can't dive ? Long distance surface driving in a damaged nuclear sub may not be an option

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Well, if it can't submerge, maybe just drive it around like a normal boat?

FFS.

5. Don't they have GPS?

6. When I saw this thread I thought it might be the HMS Graffton. My sister was aboard this ship when in crashed no less than 3 times in less than 3 weeks back in the late 90'S. 8O

It may not be problems with charts, sometimes its with the people trying to read them. :wink:

7. I remember this; some bozo parked her on a sandbar in Norway or something?

8. I believe so, also not long after they had hit the dock, and a oil container ship! :p

9. Yes, but in the navies case it stands fro "Gays Punting for Sex".

Too busy ******** and ******* to see the big pointy rocky things.

Navy. An excuse to spend months with other men in a big metal tube full of seamen.

10. To be absolutely fair to the RN, I wonder how good the charts are for that area?

I recall watching a programme last year about a Scottish trawler that either hit a submerged rock or lost its nets on something that wasn't marked on the charts. They reported the damage and the Hydrographic Office despatched a survey vessel which found a pinnacle that hadn't been mapped because it was so "thin". At low tide, the rock was only a few metres below the surface but had been missed by the survey vessels.

I can't see the Red Sea being any better mapped than the Scottish Islands!

Litotes

11. Of course, the media didn't bother reporting a merchant vessel straying into Grafton's path, so the choice was either risk grounding or collide with another ship.......

Back to this latest incident, why do you think British/US/other submarines are in that part of the world?

12. Was she driving at the time?