pin reversal? is this true???

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by SkyMistress, Dec 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had this in an email today, does anyone know if this is true or if its bollocks?

Did you know this!!!

>If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM

>machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin in reverse.

>For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321. The

>ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card you

>placed in the machine.

>The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to

>The robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to help you.

>This information was recently broadcasted on TV and it states that it

>is seldom used because people don't know it exists.
  2. Utter balls.
  3. What about palendromes: 2112, 3773 etc?
  4. That wouldn't work on my number as its ...........................................

You didn't really read that to the end did you??
  5. 2112 - an awesone Rush album!!!
  6. Apparently the technology exists but isnt in use.

7. Nice one Trolley :D :D :D
  8. According to BARCLAYS it is utter rubbish - received an email like that last week and contacted my bank via email who gave me the afore mentioned reply!
  9. That email has been floating about since Sept TD. Apparently the technology does exist, called quite cleverly 'SafetyPIN' it has never been implemented US thing as far as I know.

Having 'googled' it, lots comes up about it. Most of the Urban Legend sites have something on it.
  10. As you can get kicked to death outside a manned police station in this country these days, I can't see plod dropping his pastie for your bit of drama at the cashpoint, can you?
  11. well thanks for getting back to me and not ripping the shit out of me for being so blonde as to not recognise a bullsh1t story xx
  12. As has been said, the technology exists, but has yet to be implemented. - Don't hold your breath.

There is some discussion going on between the major ATM vendors to produce a dual-pin system to address the "mugged at cashpoint" problem, but in reality it's very low down the list of priorities.

If the vendors were to agree on a widely held set of standards, it wouldn't be a problem, but first and second generation ATM's currently have a number of different architectures. The expense of rolling out any single change is so vast as to render advancement in fraud protection just about zero.
  13. A proper blonde?????
  14. If a robber is going to force you to draw money from the cashline, then simply wait for the approriate moment, then snap your card as it enters the machine. When said junkie robber looks on in dis-belief punch him in the nuts and take his eye out with the other half of your card. ;-)
  15. Collar and Cuffs? :wink: