Pimp my laptop

Feel free to share the config and a possible upgrade

So me and the Alienware are going on nearly 2 years on and I'm wondering if it's time to stick it on ebay and perhaps get a updated design with an improved graphics.

Specs
Alienware 15
Core i7 4710
16gb RAM
128gb SSD (Boot drive)
1tb (2nd drive for storage etc)
AMD Radeon M295x

Obviously I've got accessories including an external 4tb USB 3.0 drive for extra storage and external gaming mouse and keyboard.

Where to go from here? The whole thing does weigh quite heavily and it's definately not a light piece of kit.

Perhaps a 2nd hand 512gb SSD drive to replace the smaller boot drive wouldn't go amiss and the Alienware Amplifier is an option when wanting more performance, costs a shed when you add the PCI-e card and the GTX 1080 is certainly a satisfying if not excruciatingly expensive option.

At the moment I'm counting pennies but I think shouldn't be more than extra £600 to bring it a bit more inline with the latest kit.

Those ASUS ROG look good as well, any one have any experience with them at all?

My current rig is struggling can struggle with high frame rates especially on Diablo 3 but I do like visible impressive and highest settings, I've never got my hands on an Alienware amp but the laptop itself gets noisy when playing games at high settings and excruciatingly hot such as on Starcraft 2.

Mr Happy

LE
"Obviously I've got accessories including an external 4tb USB 3.0 drive for extra storage"

I STRONGLY urge you to consider a back up for your back up. I have 2x 1TB external storage + Cloud. Whilst I may be over compensating, I have seen the external HD's die of friends and them lose 10's of thousands of photos. I have also lost one, but because of the double-bagging, been OK.

There are sometimes new amps on amazon for around 150 quid, so not that expensive.

As for upgrades: I put an m.2 SSD in my Alienware and the thing really flies.

Last edited:
ASUS ROGs, er, rock. Mine is a similar age and spec to yours and gets a bit noisy, but never too hot. Get a new Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, don't bother with used ones.

Why would anyone even consider buying a second hand hard disk of any kind?

It's up there with buying second hand tyres for your car, you're never going to save a penny because the "lifetime" will have been reduced significantly.

PS

My current rig is struggling can struggle with high frame rates especially on Diablo 3 but I do like visible impressive and highest settings, I've never got my hands on an Alienware amp but the laptop itself gets noisy when playing games at high settings and excruciatingly hot such as on Starcraft 2.
Then turn the detail down, or buy a playstation