Pilot's View - Jubilee Flypast

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by Cheese Possessed, Jun 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hmm thanks!
  2. that's amazing usual view. Did you see me waving I was in the Mall?
  3. Looked more like the bombers view and the tail gunners.
  4. Amazed they managed to pull that off without some wag declaring "bomb gone" ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I saw you, you had a Union Flag didn't you?
  6. It seems a shame that the BBMF haven't got a Ju88 or Heinkel to chase across the sky...
  7. To be historically accurate, it needs to be a Heinkel 111 in Kampfgeschwader 55 markings. It was one of those which destroyed the Royal Chapel inside the Palace in September 1940. I don't know whether you'd want it to carry a load of bombs but if it did I think you could take it as a firm hint from Frau Merkel that she's had enough unasked for advice from the British about the European Union to last her for the rest of her life.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

wouldnt frau merkel be more inclined to ask if some of her maj's offspring fancied being german again to up her popularity, 1st reunification, 2nd kaiser Henry, 3rd....reich..!
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I know the movie battle of britain was filmed using spanish air force planes - what happened to them all?
  10. They're called The Bombing of Guernica Memorial Flight.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. I live quite near Bletchley Park and we get BBMF flyovers a few times every year. There's nothing like seeing the Lanc going pretty low over the back garden.
    A few years ago I hear the engines and go outside to see the Lancaster going overhead and then one of the Spitfires having a mock dogfight with a Messerschmidt.
    Them fighty pilots do like flying low.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Crapatalk and a head dobber
  12. Just a quick one...

Why would the Lancaster need that many blokes on it?

It isn't flying a 'mission' is it? So does it need (at least 5) blokes on board. Do they crew it as per it's wartime role?

I'm thinking Pilot, Flt Engr and Navigator... that's it. You don't need a bomb aimer if you ain't got the bombs, and you don't need gunners. Nor do you really need a radio Op anymore. I doubt Heathrow has the capability to deal with morse.

Admittedly I wouldn't be adverse to a 'second man' learning the ropes before moving on to Pilot, Flt Engr or Navigator.

Perhaps the other slots could be given out as rewards to RAF blokes who got around their PFT or even to paying punters.

See the Jubilee in style!!! Buy a Raffle ticket for a chance to be a rear gunner, top gunner or bomb/aimer gunner. Radio Op seat available too. Procedes to teh 'RAF buy a Typhoon fund'.

It's been done before!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Camera men were taking up a few positions and perhaps Radio 2 listeners in some other seats?
  14. They are still using them :)