Pilot Selection Board

Hey

Have recently just passed my flying grading and been selected to go to the Pilot Selection Board. I was wondering if any one had any advice as what to expect and who it is with? Been told a few little bits but any info would be appreciated.

Hey ( Hey ?? - jeez)

What sort of 'little bits' have you been told ?

Any joining instructions, addresses etc? From that we can start to piece it all together

Kind of makes sense tho'

What, spend money on 11 hours of flying for someone then to fail at an interview or written exams, I can see how that would make sense.

Or has grading been reduced to a 1/2 hour flight experience sortie?

Not in the army but my advice would be not to say "hey" by means of introducing yourself to the selection board. Unless you're applying for the Jamaican Air Force that is. Or your name is Fonzarelli :)

Did Flying Grading in 95...failed : (

It was in the days of Chipmunks 13 hours. I couldn't land properly which was apparently a deal breaker.

What, spend money on 11 hours of flying for someone then to fail at an interview or written exams, I can see how that would make sense.

Or has grading been reduced to a 1/2 hour flight experience sortie?
Never did grading, in my day, pass medical selection (at Biggin Hill) then at Wallop and you were in. Some unlucky souls did all that and then found out they couldn't fly worth a damn and got chopped on Chippy's, now that was a waste of time and money. IIRC we lost 6 at that stage.

Yuur nickname wasn't chunky by any chance?

Never did grading, in my day, pass medical selection (at Biggin Hill) then at Wallop and you were in. Some unlucky souls did all that and then found out they couldn't fly worth a damn and got chopped on Chippy's, now that was a waste of time and money. IIRC we lost 6 at that stage.

Yuur nickname wasn't chunky by any chance?
'faid knot!

I only lasted to the end of adv rotary.

Sent back to "kicking boxes in doorways".

Bad luck, stil, making it that far was a commendable attempt, what was it that chopped you D of A?
Lack of speed...............in...................developing............................my ..................mental ........................capacity.

Not for the lack of trying I can tell you. Kept fighting until the end, even though I could see it coming. Maybe with some more hours I would have made it.

Still not regrets, spent a year flying planes and helicopters and got my PPL(H) out of it as well a huge chunk of CPL/IR/Multi(A).

Lack of speed...............in...................developing............................my ..................mental ........................capacity.

Not for the lack of trying I can tell you. Kept fighting until the end, even though I could see it coming. Maybe with some more hours I would have made it.

Still not regrets, spent a year flying planes and helicopters and got my PPL(H) out of it as well a huge chunk of CPL/IR/Multi(A).
Every cloud and all that, you flying commercially now?

Was often surprised at the guys that got chopped who went on to fly commercially, seems a massive waste of talent to Army flying, and of course shows that they had the ability hiding in there somewhere.

Having said that, Army flying was often a lot more demanding than any commercial flying I can think of.

Ok, so as not to begin a new thread I thought i'd 'bump' this one.

I have my pilot selection board coming up very soon and i'm looking for any hints or tips. I've done about 6yrs service, currently a Captain and i've been trying to transfer for years now. My main focus is "What does the AAC look for in an Officer" and more specifically one coming across from another from another cap-badge.

At the same time i'm looking for any specific skills the AAC would look for and trying to make sure I have a good understanding of the current/future kit/roles.

Finally i'm trying to figure out a rough idea of what my career would look like. I assume after 2-3yrs training i'll complete a 4 year flying tour and then transfer across. This is where I need a little more research and i'd like to know a little more.

Any help at all would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Current - Lynx, Gazelle, a couple of Wildcat. Support to "them". Some fixed wing (Defender/Islander).
Future - More Wildcat, less Lynx, maybe Gazelles. Support to "them". Some fixed wing stuff.

AAC do the battlefield taxi stuff, other JHC covers the bigger taxi and lift stuff (Puma, Merlin, Chinook). You could do an exchange to another JHC unit.

Yes - 2-3 years training. I believe you are given the option to transfer, but don't have to. I know of a few guys at the minute who are (on paper) doing their 4 year flying tour and returning to their Corps/Regiments at the end.

To put it into perspective against others, who may have passed out of Sandbags, then trained, you may be doing similar jobs at 6 years senior to them. I'm not sure whether you'll go into a role that fits with your seniority (Sqn 2IC for example), or have to start at the bottom and work through.

Worth considering, IMO, by the time you finish your training, you'll be dangerously close to Beige list territory. All the AAC guys I knew on ICSC(L) basically would trather have been flying than studying or even have been promoted in the first place. So not sure how that will affect you - you may qualify on type, promote not long after (assuming you have all your education in the bag) and then do ICSC(L), do an SO2 appointment etc.

Or, you don't promote, by not being qualified (Offr education) and they keep you flying.

The AAC are pretty strapped for pilots and Capts/Majs, so they may let you play it either way, but they may advise that to career foul yourself by not promoting isn't clever etc.

And no, I'm not AAC, but see a lot of them.

Hope that helps a bit, hopefully someone in the know will be along for more focused advice! Good luck.

Would anyone happen to know the current process (or lack of) for other services looking to transfer to AAC? I've seen a bit of info floating around but a lot of seems a few years out of date.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CC_TA Aviation 22
S Aviation 0
C Aviation 12