Pilot sacked after fly-by stunt

There are some boring gits about, nice fly by though!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7263007.stm

A British pilot has been sacked after performing a low-flying stunt with a brand new Boeing 777.

Captain Ian Wilkinson flew the Cathay Pacific plane within 28 feet of the ground with its undercarriage raised, at Boeing's Seattle airfield.

The aircraft was on its delivery flight and packed with the airline's VIPs.
The video seems to have disappeared, here's some photos instead

No worries, he will get a job at Air Tours or My Travel...they ALL drive like that!

probably worth it though :twisted:
how'd you get sacked joy riding in a new jumbo jet :D style

There is a large thread on Pprune about the incident.

The shitty thing is, he was the B777 Chief Pilot for Cathay Pacific taking delivery of the new aircraft from Boeing, Seattle. Flybys on these occasions are supposedly common place. In the back of the aircraft was a load of Cathay execs including the Director of Flight Operations. They were all more than happy about the flyby and even included pictures and a write-up in their monthly newsletter. They changed their tune when the clip appeared on Youtube and then sacked the bloke and 'demoted' the copilot. Apparently all is not well at Cathay and I wouldnt be suprised if they had a revolution.....which will give the management another excuse to sack a load of pilots*.

*"The 49'ers - industrial troubles

Cathay Pacific sacked 49 of its 1,500 pilots on July 9, 2001; hence, they are known as "the 49ers" (though total dismissals and downgrades subsequent totalled 62). About half of the fired pilots were captains, or 5 percent of the total pilot group. But of the 21 officers of the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association (HKAOA), 9 were fired, including four of the seven union negotiators.

"The firing was pure intimidation, a union-bust straight up, designed to be random enough to put the fear in all pilots that they might be next, no reason given," says Capt. Nigel Demery, president of the HKAOA (and also Hong Kong-ALPA, the IFALPA affiliate of all Hong Kong based flightcrew members.)

A later head of the HKAOA, Captain Murray Gardner, is said to have favoured a more softline approach to dealing with management and indeed workplace relations between the two groups have been largely conciliatory since 2002."

Sparks_Fly said:
He'd have gotten away with it if he had lowered the landing gear. He knew that and he knew the implications of doing what he did.

What implications?

As I said, most of the management was on board. One of them was even up front on the flight deck. Nowt was said and no action was taken until the clip appeared on Youtube. Its not a case of the fly-by being dangerous, its a case of a very spinless management reacting well after the event.

FFS, This man risked the lives of everyone on board that aircraft. Being a commercial aircraft pilot is a very responsible job and if he, as a very senior pilot, didn't appreciate the risks he definitely shouldn't be allowed near an aircraft in a position any more important than as a trolley dolly.

craftsmanx said:
FFS, This man risked the lives of everyone on board that aircraft. Being a commercial aircraft pilot is a very responsible job and if he, as a very senior pilot, didn't appreciate the risks he definitely shouldn't be allowed near an aircraft in a position any more important than as a trolley dolly.

Risks? Certainly less risk than landing to be honest.

8) Wicked, when I flew from Sydney to New Zealand last year the pilot pulled a similar stunt to that take off, probably not as steep but it felt like it! The pilot came on the tannoy as we were decked over saying "I hope you're enjoying the take off, please remain seated and we will reach our cruising altitude very shortly!" 8) 8) 8)

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
slimjim said:
Probably a good time to post how not to do a fly by!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU

I read somewhere how this was done on auto pilot to show how clever the auto pilot was lol

No. It was done by the pilot to show how clever the pilot was. He got six months pokey for manslaughter. That incident was dangerous, the Cathay flyby IMHO was not.
Was it? ahhhhh I remeber reading some people died :(

Latest Threads