Pilot error

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by poodpood, Sep 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting

"En route, his co-pilot sent a message on a signal device. He was supposed to type 7600, which means "lost communications." But instead, he punched in 7500, which reports a hijacking, Butler said."

I could be wrong but 7600 sounds like an IFF squawk code for id on a radar screen, ISTR that from my days of fixing radars after naughty scopie types had broken them !!

2. Yep, he monged his IFF squawk. Not frickin rocket science.

3. Sod me , was I right ?

4. Yep.

Error even below the schoolboy level. Most mistakes occur with newbies forgetting to switch to standby while changing codes. Air trafficers get most upset when the numbers on their screen start whizzing round like a fruit machine. And yes, I found out the hard way as flying scholarship sprog in a C152 entering the UHMRA on my first solo Navex. (Anyone who started flying in after the mid 90s should ask their parents.)

5. It was 7700 for 'unlawful interference with flight' when I was a lad.

I think.

But that was when Pontius etc etc.

6. 76 (00) in a fix, 75 (00) taken alive, 77 (00) going to Heaven, The mantra learned by all pilots for the transponder codes. Sounds like this guy was under high workload at the time with bad weather and no radios. Wonder if the ILS was also down if both radios had gone U/S? Easy mistake to make, especially in poor weather when you're forced to divert and the plane's being bounced round the sky so hard you can hardly touch the transponder, let alone be reprogram it.
    This sounds more like a private flight in a light aircraft, or light twin, rather than a commercial aircraft. The 'co-pilot' may just have been a friend along for the flight.

7. If the chap didnt have the capacity to deal with it, he should stick to walking.

Flying aint hard but fcuking up is terribly unforgiving.

8. He (pilot) is registered as owning a Cessna Citation 501 but I don't know if this was involved.

9. Yeah, sounds like it could be the Citation. I think the 501 is certified for single pilot operation, but it would be a hell of busy environment with only one pilot on board, so the other guy could have been a co-pilot. Having been lucky enough to get a free flight in one piloted by my ex-instructor when they were re-positioning to another airfield, I can vouch that everything happens much quicker than it does in an Aztec.
    Flash- ALL pilots make mistakes, but you only get to read about the unlucky ones! This guy was obviously concentrating on the important bits- the aviating and the navigating. I'm not surprised they didn't spot that the 6 was in fact a 5 as they were probably too busy making sure they didn't bump into anything solid.

10. I'll bow down to your experience in an Aztec then, dundrillin :wink:

True, all pilots do make mistakes.

501 is single pilot IFR IIRC.

As I said, if he didnt have the capacity in a relativley mild emergency, he may wish to recind his solo IFR cat. :roll:
    If his 'co-pilot' was just talking baggage, it raises the question why was he letting him fcuk about with the squawk?

11. Also makes you wonder what kind of window licker was in the right seat. Most people have mastered the difference between 5 & 6 by the age of, oh, say 5 & 6.

I'm in agreement with Flash. His radio conked out. It's not as if he was dealing with an engine fire in cloud & icing conditions. It's just simple attention to detail to something that should have been drilled into his memory by the time he started doing Navexes as a PPL stude. That having been said, with all the attention he got, I doubt he'll make the same mistake again.